Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fall of the House of Usher [Netflix]

Options
  • 12-09-2023 4:16pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Mike Flanagan's latest uh, tweaking of a written work - and as usual, starring all the actors he usually collaborates with lol. Arrives October 12.

Never got past a couple of episodes of The Midnight Club, so hopefully a return to form from the flatline of that YA series.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,297 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I was disappointed with The Haunting of Hill House, The Hauting of Blye Manor & Midnight Mass and I never gave The Midnight Club a go.

However I will say I have been looking forward to this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,075 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I enjoyed Hill House

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭thegame983

Midnight Mass is incredible. I'm in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Oh on second viewing of the trailer I spotted Mark Hamill not sure how I missed that the first time.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 31,849 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Absolutely sensational. I thought it was a bit slow initially but drew me in.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭midnightblue

I thought the same. The first episode was a slow start but goodness me, I binged through the rest of the series. My favourite of his works so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

I'm 2 episodes into this and it's really shît so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Jasper79

Watched first episode thought it was decent enough. Will keep going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭s8n

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

I really enjoyed this - watched it all over the weekend. Second episode was poor, and we nearly gave up, but it really picked up after that. Loved how it

tied in the opioid crisis, almost suggesting the only way this could have been allowed to happened was with supernatural assistance

• Registered Users Posts: 12,440 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Watched the first two episodes and enjoyed them looking forward to watching the next couple of episodes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I really enjoyed this. He did brilliantly to pull threads from different Poe stories and weave them all into one.

It did start off slow but after that I was dying to keep watching as the episodes flew by. I was eager to find out how each character's story turned out and I'm glad that there was plenty of variety in the karma that arrived.

The entire story was quite enjoyable and a not-too-subtle critique of modern business and billionaires. There was a bit of cliche thrown in with the resolution but it wasn't so much as to take away from it overall.

I didn't see the Midnight Club but this is up there with Haunted Hill or Midnight Mass for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Thought this was superb and i'm not usually a fan of the horror-esque genre. Great storyline and no real filler as only 8 episodes. Soe fantastic acting from Greenwood, Gugino, Greenwood, Fitzgerald, Hamill & Lumbly amongst others.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Just finished it

Absolutely loved this. Brilliant show, well written, fantastic audio, great dialogues, etc.

Hill House is still my favourite, but this is now no2.

I didnt like Midnight Mass at all so I wonder if MM fans will dislike this one?

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,440 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Really enjoyed this right up the with Flanagan's best shows.

I actually haven't watched Hill House so starting that tonight but would put Midnight Mass ahead of this but enjoyed both shows

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭thegame983

Enjoyed it. It's a borderline comedy at times and very over the top.

Not a patch on Midnight Mass, but that's to be expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Up to episode 5. It is interesting but it felt a bit hard to get into as all the characters are so unlikeable in contrast to the characters in the first few Netflix series he produced.

Also I'm not familiar with the original work it is based but did they really have to reveal who was going to die. Just took alot of the mystery out of the story for me, I think I'm just not a fan of this type of storytelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I've watched 6/8 episodes and I'm struggling to stick with it. Is it worth seeing through to the end or will be left wishing I spared those few hours? I'm not familiar with the Poe stories and how they're being interweaved here. All I'm seeing is the same format in each episode, fireside chats that gets bogged down in purple prose while trying to land a jump scare, set up for the character who will die, flashback to 1970s/1980s, then the death. I don't know how people binged this given it's so repetitive.

Loved The Haunting of Hill House. Didn't bother with Bly Manor beyond first episode. Gave the Midnight Club a go and wish I didn't bother by midway point but powered through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,920 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Im glad I stuck with it but have some knowledge of the Poe stories.

The netflix recaps are quite good... spoilers obviously but you could read ep7 and watch the finale for Halloween

https://www.netflix.com/tudum/articles/the-fall-of-the-house-of-usher-episode-7-recap#

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭squonk

I’m up to ride 6, or the one where Tamerlane dies. I’m finding it a bit of a slog in that you know just one child will die each episode and you know who it’s going to be straight out of the gate. The guesswork over the mole was nixed pretty quickly but it was kind of obvious by then anyway. There is an interesting story in there about the mysterious woman but there’s also a death march, no pun intended, to get to the solution as you have to systematically sit through each of the characters deaths before a resolution. Like was said previously, they aren’t very likeable either. I think this could have been good if they made it 5-6 episodes with two deaths being handled in some. I am starting to drift away from it . I’ll finish it but if it was any longer I’d have trouble

Post edited by squonk on

Mark Hamill is so good he really should be in more TV series and films.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Use the FF button. I go all the way to the death scenes, the rest is torturous.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭8mv

Absolutely bananas and very enjoyable. Great dialogue and clever use of flashbacks and foreshadowing. I love how the actors really committed to the madness and went for it. Bruce Greenwood, Carla Gugino and Henry Thomas were exceptional.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Just finished it. Absolutely loved it.. riveted by it - hooked and pulled you along in most wonderful way. Each episode was brilliant in its own right and I think that’s what made it so beautiful & dark. I must say, Carla Gugino was brilliantly cast as the Raven. One of the best series I’ve seen in a long time. A work of art.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭nachouser

Agreed that Hamill is excellent, he seems to be having the time of his life in this. I'd read a few reviews before watching that said Greenwood was a poor choice for the paterfamilias role, that he is too clean-cut an actor. So wrong, he's great in this. Shout out to whoever came up with the Easter egg of showing "Gerald's Game" in a blink and you'll miss it scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭crushproof

I really have to do a double take everytime I remember that's Mark Hamill, absolutely superb performance.

Finished it two nights ago, I almost didn't bother watching after being underwhelmed by the first episode but it grew and grew. Outstanding TV. The music was beautiful and the final episode a real visual treat.

Of course could not stop thinking of the below in the last episode.

Advertisement