Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coaching the ruck? (Underage hurling U10’s)

Options
  • 11-09-2023 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭

Im involved with a local GAA club.

Something that never gets mentioned are the rucks at training.

Often we have 6 or more young lads all fighting for the ball and it can be a mess- same in games, often the team that pushes the other team off the ball end up getting in each other’s way inviting the other team back in.

I don’t remember being coached on rucks myself back in eighties ;)

Anyhow id appreciate some pointers I can give them or even a tactical approach.

my own young lad keeps winning the battles (ends up working the ball to his feet) but effs up rising the ball more often than not, then is too exhausted for the subsequent battle and is easily overcome

I keep telling them to flick it out and run onto it and jab but the message doesn’t seem to get across to them, anyway appreciate any pointers

cheers

marty.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Thanks evolvingtipp - I’ve watched all those, and many more, great resource BTW

we do plenty of 1v1 2v2 type ruck training and they are well able to win the ball in the ruck (ie get the ball in front of them where they should be in control momentarily)but it’s the strategy suitable to 10yr olds I’m really looking for pointers on.

Maybe try to rise once, if it fails kick it out ahead of yourself jab and go.

if it’s 2V2 have a lad hovering on the fringes following the ball expecting it to be kicked/flicked out, these are the ideas I’m thinking of working in with them but I just don’t want to give them advice that might create bad habits for future age groups etc

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Great to see such commitment and thinking going into coaching. I say go forward, full of confidence, with whatever you're thinking. If their 10, just make it fun. Sounds like your on the money with what your saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,513 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Its a tricky one.

On the one hand, within the ruck of 6 or 7 kids (it would be the same with girls) there will be the one or two brave ones that will bend down and try to lift it properly. The ones that are brave enough to try to lift it will develop quicker - so I would let them at it for a while. Then there will be the 3 or 4 who are standing around the edges and leaning into it without doing much. Maybe they'll kick it. And then there is the headbanger who will start swinging or chopping like a loon.

But mostly you have to keep the ball moving - so maybe after 30 seconds blow the whistle. Thats how I would approach it.

Side note: I'm surprised there arent more questions here about underage coaching. There must be 9 or 10 thousand underage coaches in GAA in Ireland; and a good portion of those, for all the videos and courses that are out there, are learning on the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Thanks both for insightful replies.

The way I see it in let’s say a 3v3 ruck.

So the first bit their all doing their thing trying to get over the ball, then someone eventually succeeds at that, but then the 3 lads on the successful team start getting in each other’s way (all trying to lift the ball at the same time) and allow the other team to recover and get back in on the action, I just want to coach them a simple method so that as soon as a team has asserted dominance they give themselves the best chance of turning that into possession. Any other pointers I’d be delighted to hear them

thanks

marty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,971 ✭✭✭threeball

The main thing is body position, most kids (and a lot of adults) try to stay upright but you need to coach them to get low. Almost a wide squat, it gets them closer to the ball and your base is at its strongest so you won't get pushed around as easily. The next most common issue is not changing the grip on the hurl. You see some lads trying to dig it out with 2 hands, others doing big long drags at full grip. Grip should be half way up the hurl or more.

So basically a wide low base, ball between your feet and a short grip with one hand. If they want to watch the best exponent of it get them to watch Conor Whelan.

We do a drill with younger kids where they each get a sliothar and go back to back. They drop the sliothar at their heels and see who can rise their sliothar first. They soon realise that the lad that gets lowest usually wins as the stronger position forces the other player forward and he can't get at his ball. If they get really good they should be able to rise their own ball and then their opponents.

Knowing when to give up and flick it in to space is sometimes as beneficial.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Definately the low body position but also the 'Will o Donoghue ' walk straight through the ruck. Clearing a path for the second man in is very successful for Limerick. Literally power through the ruck and kick the ball free or at least clear opposition

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

Advertisement