Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noob line question.

Options
  • 11-09-2023 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭

I've just picked up some new (old never used) rods and reels. One of the reels is a spinning reel and the other is a boat reel (?). It how much the reel can hold which is 15lb line and the other 20lb line. When buying line do you go with the max recommended or try and match it with what you hope to catch?

Wake me up when it's all over.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭nokiatom

You never gave information about the reels

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

There's not a lot to say the max you can put on the reels is about the only information on them. But I'll go and get the model numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭nokiatom

spools vary in size and capacity

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭flended12

Go with reccomended capacity but braid is thinner than mono so you'll get a bit more on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

To add to the story I picked up some old but never used rods and reels from my parents house (avid car booters). I don't fish myself but being right by the sea I thought I'd set them up so any friends or family staying can borrow them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jim from Cork

Do you mean what breaking strain should you buy?

Typically it's got to do with your type of fishing. The norm for spinning/lure fishing would be 20lb braid,. The multiplier/boat reel would depend on what it's being used for. 30lb braid would be normal for general boat angling.

Advertisement