Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hit and run case - how to make the offender pay for the damage?

Options
  • 11-09-2023 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi,

Yesterday eve, a camper van hit my car and ran away. Luckily there are no dents however the scratches are very deep.

I drive a Tesla so have recordings of the accident from three different cameras. The van number can be clearly seen in the videos. What options do I have to trace the guy and make him pay for the damage? I don't want to affect my no claims bonus.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭SVI40

Report it to the Gardaí. Hit and run is an offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭GSBellew

You have to report it, then you can claim against the MIBI but if you have comprehensive insurance they will make you go through your insurers but they will refund them in due course and then it is up to MIBI to chase the other party.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

You can only use the MIBI protocol for damage claims if you can establish the other driver is uninsured. A hit and run is not sufficient

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Sky Blue 2

Can I jump on to this thread. My car was subject of a hit and run last year. I have a quote for repairs €1,700 but could probably get it done for less than that. I got the Reg No. of the other guy (as he disappeared at speed) and reported to my insurer and the Gardai. After 7 months of little / no action by Gardai and my insurer, I was able to establish via MIBI that the other guy was insured. My own insurer told me that I would need to make a comprehensive claim (to give them an insurable interest) that they would then try to recover from the other guy's insurer. Not attractive. So I contacted his insurer directly. They assessed both cars and took statements but refused my claim as no witness and liability couldn't be proven (my word against his). The fact that he left the scene of accident without stopping (and acknowledged to his insurer that he did) seems to cut no ice. As nobody was killed or injured the Gardai don't seem to give a toss. Do I have any further recourse to recover damages to my car without making a comprehensive claim against my own insurance and all the ramifications that entails?

It doesn't sit easy with me that somebody can act with such impunity but would it just be good money after bad to engage a solicitor to pursue him for damages (if indeed a solr. could establish his name and address from Reg No.)?

Any thoughts from others here or anybody that has been around this type of course themselves would be very welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 10,249 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Is it possible that the driver didn't realise they'd scratched your car? Some of those campers are large vehicles and not all drivers are able to handle them, partic in tight spaces. Might have come too close to you and haven't a clue? So if you can get their details via the reg, that'd be my first thought. Try googling it and see if it was sale in last year or two, that'd be a start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

You need to prove the circumstances of the accident. If you can't, it's likely your insurer will be unable to recover from the 3rd party if you go down that route and the claim stays on your policy

Advertisement