Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stove to open fire

Options
  • 10-09-2023 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Googled this but only got guys wanting to change an open fire to a stove

Can i remove the door off my stanley oisin stove and see, hear and smell me log fires?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I am pretty sure you could but it would be unwise for several reasons IMHO.

1. No real protection against anything falling out small bits of lit firewood.
    2. No one will like this, but smell, as wonderful as it is, is not a good thing and means there is particulates from the fire coming out and will cause health issues
    3. It will also be far less efficient as you would have to remove the top baffle to allow a constant strong draw on it, so it will not work in anyway as close to efficiently as it should.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,843 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Leave the door on it and use as normal. But open it up when you're nearby from time to time to see more flame. That's what we do anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭windowcills

• Registered Users Posts: 33,860 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Don't because it will work like shite. And introduce drafts into your house terrible all round

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

sounds like a waste of firewood to me. you'll significantly reduce the efficiency of the stove.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Then change the doors but dont take the doors off permanently. The doors help keep the warmth in your house. Not an issue today but in three months time when its 3 degrees outside, taking the doors off the stove would be like leaving a window open wide all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Why can't you see the flame as is? I know it won't help with the sound and smell but does it just need a good clean?

I personally wouldn't ever go back from a few points of view.

The economics of it don't make sense unless you have a free endless supply of wood.

Also as you're using more fuel it's less eco friendly and putting particulates back into the room.

It'll run badly and possibly die sooner as no stove is designed to operate with the door open.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

A stove running well should have a clean door, but burning wet wood could drop the temp enough that the door doesn't burn clean. So that would raise the question as to what's being burned.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭windowcills

Thanks for all the replies, will leave it alone, door probably woudnt line up right after taking it off anyway

Advertisement