Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading

Options
  • 10-09-2023 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm looking to start upgrading my build that I've had for a while now, mainly to play Starfield and other upcoming games, as my specs are finally failing to meet minimums. This is my current setup:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600

GPU: GTX 1660 Super

Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16

PSU: Corsair TX650M Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

Budgets are a bit tight so I'm kinda focused mainly on a new GPU for the time being. I'm perfectly happy with 1080/60 FPS so been looking towards stuff like the Radeon RX 6600, 6650XT and 7600, but have been told that anything with 8gb VRAM is a bad purchase. Also a bit concerned that my CPU could end up bottlenecking things. I'm not too well versed in the PC market these days so any advice would be well appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Upgrade your CPU to a 5800x3d and it will be good for years, as for GPU, really depends on budget, if I was looking for the best budget option right now it would probably be a 6700xt or 6750xt for 300-350ish

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭dantheman95lbp

Should I forget about picking up a 6650 XT or equivalents so? Not really seeing any 6700 XTs going for 300ish, closer to 400, which would be a bit outside my budget for the time being

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

For Starfield specifically, you'd need a better CPU and RX 6800 / RTX 3080 Ti to get 1080p60 at HIGH settings without FSR2 https://www.techspot.com/review/2731-starfield-gpu-benchmark/

The game is just the usual Bethesda jank performance.

But with FSR2 an RX 7600 will suffice. Sapphire Pulse model is reliably available for 270-285eur

That's annoying, seems like the game has stupidly high requirements. I might just see how I get on with my current setup and hang on for some good deals around Black Friday/Cyber Monday on GPUs and CPUs, just can't afford to be dropping serious cash on huge upgrades right now. Cheers for the help though

Sorry last I checked they where cheaper, this is about the best I could find.

XFX RX 6700XT 12 GB SWFT 309 Gaming RX-67XTYJFDV https://amzn.eu/d/9BLVjLI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭Homelander

Yeah Starfield is a total pig to run. For 1080p high 60fps you genuinely need something like 5800 + 6750XT class card. Not a cheap upgrade unfortunately for this specific game.

I would just run with one upgrade for now and do the other later on down the line.

Best off just picking up a 6700XT for €380 and keeping the 3600 for now. It might bottleneck but they should be even enough if you play at 1080p high/ultra.

Also AMD have a promo at the moment, free copy of Starfield with most GPUs.

The RX7600 is an upgrade on the 1660 Super but Starfield isn't going to run great on it. You would be looking at 1080p medium-ish 40-50fps. Crazy that's what you get from a €300 new GPU in 2023 but the GPU inflation in recent years is a disaster.

I am in a similar boat, want to play Starfield but it runs kinda ass on my 2060 Super. But I find it hard to have to spend €400 just to play one game, everything else I play runs completely fine on the 2060S. My plan is to just leave it alone for a bit and see what happens, the game isn't going anywhere.

Yeah, I'm thinking I'll just wait another while, hopefully patches and mods might be able to better optimise the game down the line. I've got the Gamepass version running currently on low settings and it seems to be going ok so far, only played about an hour-ish though so it'll probably tank at some stage soon, it's so annoying.

That's only useable by rtx 20xx cards and up yeah

• Advertisement

I'm thinking I'll just bite the bullet and get myself a new CPU, it'll probably be cheaper than a GPU at the moment and needs to be done. Any recommendations for a decent upgrade for 1080p/60? Can't go too crazy with spending big bucks on it either

Best you can get for gaming is the 5800x3d

You'd get more noticeable performance improvement from buying a GPU, e.g. AMD RX 7600.

And it should come with a Starfield download code, too.

Advertisement