Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Petrol or diesel hatchback for work commute

Options
  • 10-09-2023 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I'm returning back to Ireland soon and wanting a used automatic hatchback. I'll be doing 80km mostly motorway to and from work 3 and 4 days a week so 480 or 640km a week.

I never had a diesel engine car but heard they are better for that type of millage but is that still the case now? Would there be much of a price difference between both on the fuel cost per week?

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭mikeecho

How long before someone recommends an EV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭Shoog

I used to be a big fan of diesels and have a fantastic diesel camper with an old fashioned all mechanical engine - trouble free.

However modern diesels are loaded with so many emissions control mechanisms that they can cause significant trouble and huge repair bills. My current diesel has given continuous problems with the EGR valve and the DPF blocking up and an otherwise good engine will probably be retired way before it's worn out as a consequence. This is a common experience especially if you do a lot of short journeys. I would never buy another modern diesel again - end of story.

Petrol are just so much simpler that they are just intrinsically more reliable these days. You forgo a bit of economy but the difference isn't massive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭User1998

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

If you want to talk like that, take to the EV forum, this insubordination won’t be tolerated round here! 😡😡🤬

(Hopefully it’s obvious that I’m joking)

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭User1998

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Diesel all the way for that sort of mileage. I have a 70km roundtrip commute which is Motorway or decent R Road (used to be the old N1) and get switched between petrol & diesel fairly frequently.

Driving economically I can get 5 L/100km fairly easy out of a Diesel, and a bit lower than that during summer when there's less traffic. I'd struggle to get 7.5 L/100km from a Petrol. At today's fuel pricing, for 500km a week, that's about €45 for diesel but €69 per week for Petrol.

Shouldn't have any issues with a Diesel doing mainly long motorway runs - that's what they were built to do. Modern service intervals are generally the same between Petrol & Diesel, and the cost of a service is around the same.

If you can find a decent Golf DSG Tdi that would be my choice. Most of those over the past 5 years or so have Adaptive Cruise Control as standard, and that makes long distance commuting a lot less stressful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭mikeecho

What's your budget?

What are your requirements?

If buying new.. probably a golf, If second hand, a BMW 5er.. not a hatch, (unless you go for a touring/estate) but big boot and lots of autos.

Or an auto dacia.

Hard to say without knowing budget/requirements/preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

A Ford Focus 1.5 diesel would be a good choice imho, and comes in hatch & estate forms.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement