Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Treatment for large fibroids - no symptoms just bloating/ swollen abdomen

Options
  • 10-09-2023 9:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭

I am based in the west. During the summer during a random check up a doctor found a large fibroid in my pelvic area after performing ultra sound. I was referred to get an MRI done. Turns out I have 2 x 12 cm fibroids plus multiple others.

I then spoke to my GP who referred me to a gynecological oncologist consultant. He went through the various procedures but said they wouldn’t work and then hinted at a hysterectomy. I was so in shock that fainted and had a seizure. I am 42, single, no kids and never been seriously ill. I have always been so active training for marathons - did two half marathons this year already with those aliens in me! I have regular periods and alway normal. Only symptom I have is swollen and bloated abdomen and bloating.

I have been hearing info from groups online but none of them in Ireland. I am going for a second opinion from another gynecologist as I want to be sure that there definitely is no hope for me with other procedures. thanks 😊

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

A friend of mine was recently diagnosed with several gynae issues, including a number of large fibroid. Her consultant wants to try keyhole surgery first, followed by open surgery if that's not successful. Hysterectomy was only mentioned as a last, last, last resort. She's the same age as you and also child-free so I would definitely be getting that second opinion, as going straight to a full hysterectomy for an otherwise healthy young (ish, sorry!) woman seems very extreme to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭galwayhooker

• Registered Users Posts: 1 www.blondie

Hi

I have a 7cm intramural fibroid. I’m currently about to be discharged from my third hospital stay in 3 weeks for heavy bleeding. Do your research & have a look at Embolisation. I have an appointment next week with Dr Niall McEniff in St James, hoping I will be a suitable candidate as I don’t want open surgery.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭xyz13

I had Embolisation in Feb 2023 (1 year on the waiting list), fibroid reduced from almost 15cm to 8.5cm.

As I don't want to have children I'll leave it as is (no symptoms or bleeding as I am on the pill). If I wanted to have children I'd be brought back in for surgery.

Petit a petit l'oiseau fait son nid...

Advertisement