Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Changing to EV

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭zg3409

Warranty is until 200,000km or 7 years so it's getting close to that mileage wise. Real world range 140km+, 160km typical, 200km town driving. 140km is only in winter at motorway speeds.

It's probably only worth 11/12k, mine sold recently with 100,000km for 14k. It might take the seller a while to realise the actual price if you are willing to wait and haggle. For the money I would prefer a car with 100k vs 180k.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Craigconnor07

Thanks for the suggestion but the Zoe is way too small. I’m not set on an Ioniq, it just seems like that are the best value for my budget. Im not up for paying €20/25k for a car for just commuting to work etc.

Yeah I’m abit worried about the 170k kms on it for the price, there was one sold last week on done deal from a dealer that was listed for €12,000 with less mileage but I was too slow in getting a chance to go view it. I haven’t made an offer on the one from the link, I was waiting for opinions on it first.

At what roughly mileage does the battery start to degrade?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭sh81722

The battery cells begin to degrade from the day they are manufactured, first at quicker rate, then at lower. But you might notice it until later on due to built-in buffer in EV battery systems.

The ioniq 28kWh typically has a very, very good battery. It has an extra buffer in that it is supplied with a 30+kWh battery and if you read the battery management system it typically reports 100% up to 160,000km. It cant really be 100% but it's at least 28kWh left. After 160,000km it's not really known how long they will last as very few drivers have reached that mileage. The car only launched in 2016 with low numbers sold. That said during fast charging the ioniq has forced air cooling which should help preserve the batteries versus a leaf. Age as in how old also seems to impact batteries even at lower mileage.

In simple terms a car with 1/2 the mileage has less charges, less fast charges, so battery will last longer.

It's a risk going above 200,000km or 7 years as then the owner is taking the risk. Worst case may be pack replacement maybe 5k from a scrap yard+ 2000 labor. Typically either the car is scrapped for parts or the battery is partly repaired or replaced. Average battery fix may be 2000 euro to diagnose and fix typical issues. I expect the cars will go to 300,000km+ but no one knows.

• Advertisement

Here is a much lower mileage ioniq (located in Galway, Wicklow reg)

Personally I would ring and enquire and politely ask for discount, view car, haggle, walk away if no deal. Seller may only have advertised it recently so may not be ready to drop price. It's probably a fair price ;)

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-ioniq-2017/35185434

Thanks for the heads up, I’m not sure whether to get in contact straight away or leave it for a couple of days to try haggle the price abit 😬. Since it’s in Galway I’d need to agree a price before I’d go view it, it’d be a fair trek from Wexford just for a look at it. But the €15,000 asking price already fairly decent or do you think there could be a little wiggle room, don’t want to offend them either by offering something way below.

Advertisement