Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

decent diesel

Options
  • 08-09-2023 8:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

Im on the lookout for a reliable diesel. 100km round trip 5 days a week too and fro to work, on country roads. 

Big enough for a child seat for a new born.

Don’t want a people carrier, more of a Corolla or Avensis size is what Im after.

Are there any reliable diesels or any known unreliable ones for that matter, most problems seems to be emission related with diesel these days. 

Probably 10k budget

Maybe I should be asking, is there a diesel with a timing chain rather than a timing belt and with an emission system which doesn't give trouble.

Post edited by aidanki on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭djan

Can't go wrong with a well specced Octavia for relative comfort and most importantly rear seat space for car seat and the biggest boot in class.

For reliability could go pre Adblue versions. While these have mostly timing belts (think only the RS TSIs are chain driven) often you're better off in a belt driven one as it's designed to be changed and thus often a 1/3 of the price of a timing chain change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭aidanki

how much would a timing belt replacement cost, and every 80k miles is it

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Experts usually jump in and tell me I'm wrong but my 12 insignia is currently hitting 400,000 km it's an absolute joy , no trouble apart from replacing breaks and timing belt, it's big fast and reliable

Well officially, Skoda had the diesel timing belts as 210k km no time and then changed to 5 year intervals regardless of mileage (sub 210km). I'd probably do it once over 100k km and then every 5 years. Cost varies wildly depending on where you get it done but even from Skoda dealer it was 400EUR roughly 2 years ago so an independent garage would probably do it for less.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭bigroad

Possibly the Honda civic 1.6 diesel estate.

Think they have a chain and good mpg with decent space in estate form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭kirving

I know you've asked for a diesel, and it does drive me mad when people suggest EV's to every single post on here, but..... 100km round trip is absolutely prime territory for a cheap EV.

You'll never worry about mileage on the commute. Longer trips an issue yes, but depends if you have another car?

Cheap to run, cheap to tax, more reliable than diesel, very safe, roomy inside.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-leaf-nct-02-25-40k-ev-sv-40kw-19-4dr-auto/32666692

Good shout and tbh ideal if no need for longer trips. If going leaf I'd look for the heated seats/steering wheel pack alongside surround cameras as they're not too much extra.

Can't have a car help request without an Octavia and an EV 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Does it have to be diesel? There would likely be some Hybrids in the running for around the 10k mark here. Most (if not all) the Toyota Hybrids have a timing chain AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭ofcork

My avensis diesel has a timing chain as well worth looking at op.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Renault Fluence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Ford Focus 1.5 diesel

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Have a 2012 Avensis for 5 years. A lot of town driving & some long runs. Would recommend.

T

Advertisement