Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Pixel 8 and 8 Pro

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Dozz

@jer1ch0 I just got one in Harvey Norman with €150 off if you trade in any smartphone.

I used an old HTC One model 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Thomasirl123

Is the price of 799 before or after the 150 trade in would you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Speaking of cases... Update on this. I still think it's a great case, but my one complaint is it's actually a little too grippy. Sometimes it can be quite difficult to slide my phone into my pocket.

@Thomasirl123 I got the Pixel 8 pro 256gb for €1009. I assume you are talking about the 8 and if so €799 is the price before the €150 is taken off it.

Just to reiterate they will give you €150 for any smart phone, so if you have any old ones lying around in a drawer use that and sell your current phone privately.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Thomasirl123

@Dozz thanks for that. Will get an old one out of the press and pick up a pixel 8 this weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭logistic

If your getting a pixel 8 they are €600 with three.

I'm still undecided between a 7a (€300) or 8 (€600) coming from a pixel 3a xl.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,336 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users Posts: 7,560 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

599 on Three for the Pixel 8 seems like it won't be beaten over the next few days?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Id be surprised if we didnt hear more about the free PW2 this week? Its been almost 30 days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭1jcdub

Just checked myself. No sign of it shipping any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

So im on the hunt for a new phone. I was going to pull the trigger on an S23Ultra, but im being drawn to the Pixel 8 Pro.

What is the charging like on the p8p? I have an oppo find x 3 pro and its lightening fast and I don't know if its something I can give up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭raclle

Went in to HN today to take a look at the phones.

I'd get 335 for mine as trade in against that p8p leaving it at 825. Great deal.

That said, the S23Ultra really caught my eye. The p8p felt very samey, like I wasn't getting anything new, where the S23Ultra felt like a whole different ball game, but 300 quid extra of a ball game! Still can't make my mind up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭beardo81

What phone did you trade in for €335 if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭MarsyB

Sell an old phone for 150 and then sell your oppo privately or to CEX surely would be more money?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭MarsyB

UK got there's shipping about 2 weeks ago 😭

Actually works out about the same

Actually works out about the same. CeX only offering 200 for the Oppo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭VegetaIRL8e

Seriously......FFS.

I've been looking forward to getting it. Although in fairness my PW1 since the WesrOS4 upgrade has been lasting me over a day and a half which is a massive improvement

• Registered Users Posts: 27 jer1ch0

My finger has been hovering over the BUY button for some weeks now. Today, I popped into HN to get a feel for the P8P in my hand. 

To be honest, I was a bit underwhelmed. Yeah, it looks lovely, seemed fast and the size is perfect for me. I only had a 5-minute play with it but left wondering if I was willing to drop 1K on it. 

I like my tech and have used a One+ 7T for the last 4 years, which I have been very happy with. 

I haven't ruled out the P8P yet but I may have a look elsewhere - a Samsung maybe. I'm interested in a new phone experience - I thought the pure Android may provide this. 

Has anyone bought the P8P feeling like me but were nicely surprised as their experience with it went on? 

I felt exactly the same. I was using the p8p and didn't actually realise it was the p8p. I went looking for some bells and whistles phone and turns out that was it. Having had some time to mull it over I think I will be looking more towars the s23 Ultra

@jer1ch0 I upgrades from a P6 to a P8P and to be honest its a pretty underwhelming upgrade. Phone is good but apart from a bit of camera trickery, there isnt much difference between it and the 6.

In hindsight I should have held off for the OnePlus 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭pandabat

I don't know that there's much in terms of new phone feeling to be had now. Most phones have converged around a few key design points and there are few surprises left in terms of UI/UX.

I went from a OnePlus 5 to the P6 when it came out. The Pixel 6 was fatter/heavier than the svelte OP5 but not much noticeably faster in everyday use ... BUT ... I'd jumped up a number of Android versions, I would have regular and timely Android updates , the camera was streets ahead and I quickly got used to it's comparative heft. I did get the intro offer (Bose headphones) with the P6 so the cost was somewhat offset by that.

I did however, on occasions, regret not having the optical zoom and so when the P8P came along with no curved screen, the free Pixel 2 watch as a promo offer and 7 years of upgrades then I jumped on it. Is it radically different to the Pixel 6 experience - no - but features a larger screen on largely same size form factor asking with other improvements.

For me, the Pixel range offers a solid, stock Android experience with latest updates coming very soon without any tweaking and bloat applied by others. It comes straight from the source. The camera's very good and I love the blue colour (subjective I know). It's fast enough for me although it's at least one tier down performance-wise than newest Qualcomm stuff.

Comes down to what you want though. Having missed the watch offer, I'd probably hold out for a mid-lifecycle price drop or sale on the P8P if I were you but if you're meh on it now then perhaps should just wait for something to blow your socks off a little more, something that you have the "love" for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I've just gone from a OnePlus 8T to a Pixel 8 256gb (not received yet). Will report back on differences

Seems to be a black friday special offer featuring a free Fitbit Charge 6 with P8P on Google store at the moment btw if anyone considering

No idea how it stacks up compared to other offers but may be of interest

https://store.google.com/product/pixel_8_pro?hl=en-GB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭TheRona

I think the stock experience being better is largely a myth. Generally speaking, other manufacturers add useful functionality over the top of Android, so you get the best of both worlds. Google don't have the best track record of releasing stable firmware updates either.

So called 'bloat' is a non-issue these days as well. It's not like the old days of TouchWiz with carrier specific apps that are baked into the ROM. You can buy a S23 Ultra and benefit from (largely) everything a Pixel does, plus the added features that Samsung bring to the table, as well as a much more capable processor etc.

The €200 jump in price was a bad move from Google, imo.

Stock isn't necessarily better but, on the other hand, the more customisation then the more work and testing needs to be done to bring any new firmware updates to a handset. For me, that unsullied Android experience is something that I'm happy with but there's a myriad of choice for everyone out there.

I would say to people to buy a handset that they feel good about and that ticks the boxes that are important to them - be it camera, bang-per-buck, lightweight design, big screen, small form factor, plastic back, glass back, great speakers, quick updates, heavy customisation, long battery life, benchmark king performance or whatever.

I liked Samsung in the early Android days myself but their early abandoning of the S3 (after only 1 major Android update iirc) turned me very much off them. Good to hear that their firmwares aren't as bloated as they used to be though. That can only be a good thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭Del007

Do people put a glass protection cover over the screen? If so, can you recommend one please? Thanks

Advertisement