Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Builders request

Options
  • 07-09-2023 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right section so move if need be. Also I’ll try my best to describe the situation but I’m no builder.

There are currently houses being built behind our back garden. The builder of those houses knocked into us today and asked if they could run a duct through our back garden for power lines.

Everything would be put back to the way it is, the duct will run a metre under the ground and he’ll make it worth our while.

The alternative is the duct is placed outside our wall which would mean digging up the public path to put it down. So it’s easier and more convenient if it goes through our back.

Is this request odd? By making it worth our while how much would we be compensated? Any potential issues me as a non builder overlooking? Any advice/suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭con747

What happens in the future if it needs to be accessed for any reason? I wouldn't personally entertain it but each to their own.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭blackbox

Very little risk that it will ever need to be accessed.

I'd be looking for 50% of the cost savings.

Did he make an offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

It's very handy to have someone to do a bit of clearing, blocklaying, having a hole dug for a tree, a long ladder to clean out the gutters, etc etc etc.

Don't waste an opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭rizzla

No offer made, just that he would make it worth our while. I’m sure going through our garden instead of digging up the path would save him a good bit.

It would be handy to have a builder you can trust. The houses they are currently building look very well.

The wall the duct will currently run parallel with, we don’t have any plans for the area so would likely remain untouched.

Is it strange? Friend put in my head all this would have been preplanned so to make the request seems like cutting corners. To me it seems like an opportunity to save some time an money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭con747

I would be running it past a solicitor before agreeing or signing anything. I would trust a builder as much as an auctioneer or politician and who knows the implications down the road when they move on and the problem is yours if anything goes wrong. Will it affect you being able to sell in the future or who has the rights to access it if ever needed to and so on. Maybe I'm being over cautious but do your research before making a commitment.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭MackMack

I wouldn't do it. You'll lose the ability to build anything over the lines. There'll probably be a wayleave required by them for access to the lines if anything ever happened in the future. Not worth the few quid they'd offer you. Tell them to run it outside your property.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭Ronney

Is this just a temporary thing or a permeant thing?

Not sure the ESB would be too keen/allow this....Avoid

From Below

https://www.esbnetworks.ie/docs/default-source/publications/electrical-services-guidebook-for-housing-schemes96bf505f-4d12-4287-9c6d-ce0fa35a5b46.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭rizzla

I asked what next steps would be an he said it would be about drafting up an easement which he would do. I'll run it past a solicitor before signing anything. Still 50/50 on the idea.

I say it would be permanent don't like the idea of markers being present though. I can't imagine they would need to dig it up and if so, possibly many years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭wildwillow

It will add unnecessary complications if you ever want to sell. The builder will move on and won’t be your handyman. You won’t be able to build over it and someone will have right of access if it needs repair or servicing.

I wouldn’t recommend it and certainly wouldn’t allow it in my property. Have a look at his planning to see where it should actually be routed.

Unless you are made an offer you really can’t refuse depending on your circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭Ronney

If it all above board and agreed with the ESB Its worth considering for the right price.

You'd have to consider the wayleave requirements too and think if this might effect a sale of your property in the future?

Hard to judge without seeing the site but digging up a public path would not be a big deal to a builder who is building a number of houses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭coolbeans

If it requires an easement that essentially sterilises your back garden from future development. You went be able to build or extend into the area with the easement. I'd tell him the builder to think again.

Advertisement