Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone looking to get rid of an apple press.

Options
  • 07-09-2023 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Hi.

About to have a go at making cider and am looking to buy ( or borrow ) an apple press.

Dont want to spend too much on equipment yet until I see how it works out.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭blackvalley

PS . I’m in Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭PublicBen

im of no help to you, but wondering where you got the rest of the equipment? I’m able to access a lot of apples at the moment and thinking of trying cider myself. Just not sure where to start.

Hi. I’m certainly no expert on the subject and I’m sure there are many more qualified people out there.

The equipment you need for cider making is quite simple.

1 . Something to break up the apples into small chunks before pressing. There are many methods of doing this from a garden shredder to a heavy piece of wood with which you bash the apples in a bucket/ tub.

2 . Fruit press. You can buy them they are quite expensive if you’re only experimenting. I was able to make one up using a car jack and some online videos.

3 . A fermentation vessel which can be any larger plastic or glass container which you can seal.

4 . Bottles/ caps.

If you are making wild cider that’s basically all that you need.

There’s lots of stuff available online about the process and it’s possible to get lost in the amount of information to be found.

Just one final point and I’m open to corrections but you should get about a 50% yield from your apples. Ie from 20 KG of apples you should get 10 litres of juice.

A good source of equipment for Homebrew in general is a company called Homebrew West.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Archduke Franz Ferdinand

Look up Jack Hargreaves’s “old country” series on you tube, he details and shows how it’s done

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭PublicBen

Thanks. I tried juicing over the weekend. I put apple chunks in a blended and passed through a sieve and muslin cloth. Got about 7 litres in the fridge. That came from a large shopping bag. Have four more large bags to go through tomorrow evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Keep an eye out on adverts. I got one last year for a decent price.

Yeah I’ll keep a lookout for that. In the meantime I managed to cobble together something that works. Managed to make about fifty litres so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Looks great!

Have to thank the lady of the manor who donated her rolling pin to the cause of creating an apple masher 😆.

Advertisement