Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Agri diesel

Options
  • 07-09-2023 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭

what would happen if I put agri diesel into a 141 bmw 5 series? I used it before in error in an 09 Audi A4 and it didn’t do any harm at all

I’m not saying I’m going using agri diesel but I’m just curious as to whether it would do any harm or not

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭JohnC.

It's the same stuff, just taxed differently and coloured to tell the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Lash it in for few weeks and let us know how you get on.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭creedp

Its regularly used in all categories of vehicles. Remember a few years ago a local garage owner tellimg me that sure youd have to let the young one with the new Audi fill up with the green stuff as she does massive mileage and could afford the full prices stuff. Its a risk/reward financial decision

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Miscreant

It might harm your wallet if you get caught at a Revenue checkpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dual wheels

Really? I thought there was something about new engines that it could ruin them? Obviously this is just scaremongering to stop people using it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

My understanding is that the only difference is the the green dye to mark it as agricultural fuel and maybe missing some of the additives that normal diesel has. Not sure but I also heard that the dye stays in the tank for ages so if you get dipped by a Customs checkpoint even a few months down the road it will be detected.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

They don't check for the dye anymore there's a trace element added that they check for. Any trace in a vehicle not allowed to use MGO is a fine and as it's a trace element it will take ages to purge from the fuel system. If accidently added and you regularly see Revenue checkpoints you need to remove and drain the tank, purge the fuel lines, change the fuel filters, purge the lines again and change the fuel filters again, then fit the drained tank and refill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Modern tractor engine's are every bit as high tech as car engine's, the diesel won't harm the car, 2 local garages sell green diesel, one allows car/ van owners to fill up, the other doesn't, the demographic using the green pump are fairly undesirable

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

My local garage sells MGO. Regularly see landcruisers filling up with it. The owners send a kid in to sign the form and pay in cash.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Advertisement