Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Astronomical quote to add Suzuki VStrom 800DE to Carole Nash policy

Options
  • 07-09-2023 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭

I have a 2021 Honda CRF300L and a 2023 Honda NC750X insured with CN. Renewed last July for around €360.00.

Collecting a new Suzuki VStrom 800DE tomorrow and rang up today to have it added to my policy. The quote was €1157 for the remainder of the policy life (10 Months).

It's being referred to the ****** team for review (can't remember what she said).

Has anyone else had this experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Carole Nash promised me a call back at 09:30 this morning. The call back didn't happen. I rang them and after 30 minutes I was told "we jiggled things about a bit to get a more preferable quote".

The cost now is €190 including their admin fee of €45.00. They refused to eliminate or reduce the admin fee.

The same thing happened last May when I put the NC on the policy. Nothing but hassle from them. Next renewal I'll move, even if it's more expensive.

They are a disgusting company to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭chasm

I phoned them to get a quote to add a bike to my policy - €94, of which €45 was their admin fee.

They increased my policy this year and I only went with them as I was extremely busy and it was just convenient. Like you, I will change next year, regardless of cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I absolutely had that experience with C-N and had to move to AXA Direct. AXA underwrite CN policies anyway, so you're not losing out on the policy.

The issue as I see can see it, is it's the monetary value of the (sum of) the bikes on your policy. Once you go past €25k C-N aren't at the races.

In my case C-N wanted €633 to add a new bike to my policy for 6 months, despite paying them €320 for a whole-year policy (for 3 bikes). I was taking one off the policy at the time as well btw.

A brand new policy with AXA for all the bikes was €290. Q.E.D.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

I registered a complaint with CN and two or three days later I had a call from them apologising for their lack of customer care. They refunded me the €45.00 broker fee.

This hasn't changed my view of CN, I'll still move (probably directly to AXA) at the next renewal.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Last time I changed bikes, I had to keep the old one on the policy until I got rid of it, so I got hit twice within a few weeks with CN broker fees. Pain in the ass. But apart from that, never had a problem with them, and last time I enquired elsewhere the first thing they did was ask me my current premium and then said they were unable to beat it, quickest insurance call ever! 🤨

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement

More reason to move away from Carole Nash in July when my renewal is due…

Rang on Saturday to either add a bike to my policy or make a permanent substitution. They could do neither as they would have to refer it to the underwriter.

Today, Monday, at the time of this post, despite me calling them, they "have no word" for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

That's odd, is it a particularly high risk / high value bike?

Life ain't always empty.

No to both. I rang this morning, Tuesday, to ask if the was any word and I was told "yes, we can do something now". Fifty minutes later, having had to consult a manager, I was given a price of €67 for the remaining 3 months. I accepted it without question (wanted to get on the road to collect the bike) and there was no mention of an admin fee. Later, on looking at the receipt, I noticed there was an admin fee of €45. I objected (by email) and a few hours later in a return email, I got an apology and a refund.

I most definitely will move to Axa at renewal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I feel your pain, Carole Nash are a joke at the moment.

I wanted to move away from Carole Nash this year, they phoned me last year to renew because it was quite close to the date and I wasn't on automatic renewal, all fine then to be told because I had renewed over the phone it was an extra €20. I mean.. they rang me!

Anyway, this year I ring Principal, who had just had a stand touting for business in our local sports club which houses a scooter club, they are not taking on customers who live in Dublin 8. One of the most densely populated areas in the bloody country.

So I renew with Carole Nash, they've never charged anything to have my 1987 600F as a second bike, €75 quid this year and an increase of €40 on my premium from last year so I'm up €115 on last year, despite another year of no claims.

Anyway, skip to today, I've sold the main bike that was insured - Honda Blackbird and replaced it with a Yamaha FJR, 2 insurance groups lower, same year, same value, premium is up by €41 and that's not the admin fee, no admin fee because it was less than €50.

Carole Nash know they have us over a barrel, Principal are trying to go more towards cars and get away from bikes.

Hmmm… I don't understand their ways at all. LollipopJimmy, you had no admin fee because the transaction was less than €50. Yet, I was charged an admin fee with a transaction of €22.00!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement