Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sanity check for junior infants

Options
  • 06-09-2023 8:53pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Sorry if I am being over protective.

Our 5 year old came home from Junior Infants today (second week) quite upset. He said that there are "4 teams in his class" and when the team do as they are told, they get a star. Two teams are on 1 star, his team is on 4 stars and the final team is on 5 stars. Most stars at the end of the week wins a prize. He lost his team a star because he didn't listen. He is very upset that he has "made his team in second place", and as I type this, mom is trying to console a very upset boy. He is a very competitive boy.

Is this a little OTT for two weeks (5 days total) into primary education? I remember this when I was maybe 9 or 10, but having teams where one team wins a prize?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Sono

Sounds a bit ridiculous to me for junior infants, any other parents expressing concern?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

No but I heard some kid crying today in the yard because he got no stars and his friends didn't like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

It's fairly standard in infants for tables to win stars towards little rewards. Many parents employ the same incentive schemes at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Some teachers have absolutely no cop on at all. Yes, it is ridiculous for children that have just started school and are trying to adjust to the new environment.

That's fine, but in a competitive nature in teams where one mistake means other kids in the group get upset with him/her?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭TokTik

So you just tell him, that’s ok, you can win it back by making sure you listen tomorrow/next week.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

In week one/two of junior infants? It isn't standard then.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I wouldn't expect competitive stuff like that to come in for a lot longer than five days in.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭rex_turner

I've a junior infant - they have something similar in their class. He was giving out alright that his table didn't have as many as another but he's my 4th child, so I didn't take to much notice and he's forgotten about it already.

Based on my experience the tiredness that children experience when they start school is so extreme, that a small complaint can get really amplified especially close to bed time. If I was you, I'd obviously comfort him but would let it slide for another day or so. If it continues to be very upsetting for him then let the teacher know but chance are everything will settle down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

It’s pretty common and far preferable to the absolute horrible treatment my kids got from their junior teacher of being shamed and made an example of at any little misstep like sitting on the yard wall for the whole of lunch to teach them a lesson while their freinds played. This was last year. So, be grateful it’s reward based instead of punishment based and take it as an opportunity to teach your child that you don’t always win in life, but you keep trying your hardest and when you do win, that’s a bonus

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

What's next, "snitches get stitches" or bars of soap in a sock !!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Much of junior infant focus is on the social aspect, turn taking , interacting with other children, learning to get along with them etc. You say your little one is very competitive, that’s not the case generally in junior infants , so could that be feeding into this ?

Going from a small crèche/ playschool into a class of 30 , where it’s also more formal is a huge adjustment for any child . Couple that with the hot weather and it’s natural for a child to be a bit out of sorts .

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Garibaldi?

Usually children who have just started in Junior Infants are excited and in awe of the new routine and the new people in their lives.These early days are all about exploration and feeling their way in this social environment. I cannot imagine an element of competition or an emphasis on team work even registering with them until they are well established in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

I've had three kids and I've never come across team stars (or marbles in jars) until third class. Yes, some teachers do star charts younger, but only on an individual level, not team level. I wouldn't be happy with this being implemented in junior infants at all. JI kids hugely struggle with attention span - they shouldn't be shamed by having their team lose a star.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭Deeec

I dont see an issue with this at all being honest. My son was in JI last year and his teacher had table of the week where the table with the highest number of stars won a prize - much like what your sons school has. It encouraged good behaviour. I could even see an improvement in my sons behaviour at home because of the incentive. Teachers have a hard time looking after a large of kids and kids that age respond to rewards. None of the kids got upset because they understood the rules. None of the parents had an issue with it either.

Unfortunately this is one of lifes lessons for your child. You need to explain to him that he is a big boy now and he needs to listen and do what his teacher tells him.

Just to add its normally given as a group - the teacher would never say a table lost because x didnt listen or behave. So perhaps your son has picked it up wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,083 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Docking junior infants stars is draconian definitely doesn't sound an appropriate reaction to kids so young being kids, alienation is wrong at any age.

Post edited by RobbingBandit on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Better just let your little prince chat away and disturb the class just so his fe fes don't get hurt...

Ah thanks for your post to this long dead thread. At midnight on Saturday. It's all good. Brightest in his class, loads of friends, pulling in the stickers for great behavior every week :) Thanks for your concern and for checking in, though! :thanks emoji:

Hope you have an interesting weekend ahead!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Not helpful. As per forum charter : Keep it civil Usual Boards.ie rules apply. No trolling, flaming, trying to get a rise out of people. 

• Advertisement
Advertisement