Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Kona - 1st Service - EUR226

Options
  • 06-09-2023 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hello,

I was quoted 226 euros for the first service of a Hyundai Kona. We don't do many kilometers, approx 3000 per year and even though I want to keep the car in good condition so it holds its value, I don't want to be ripped off.

Is 226 euros the normal price for a service? Should I take it to a non-official place? I'm concerned they wouldn't honor the 5 year guarantee if I do it.

Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭User1998

What does the service include?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 mfrutos

It should be oil and filter, and visual inspection. Car has 3000 km

Me personally I would not be servicing a car with only 3,000km. Maybe find out how long you can delay the service for without invalidating the warranty.

Regarding the price, €226 is reasonable from a main dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭geographica

You sure it’s not a free inspection at 15,000kms and first service at 30k? Was it bought brand new? I’m not servicing a car at 3kms either

Yes, bought brand new from the same dealership that quoted the first service. Service is every year or after 10000 km, whatever happens first.

I will ask other official Hyundai dealerships to see if that's a common price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭gipi

I paid 195 euro for a first service on a 212 Kona diesel last September, car had about 12000km on the clock. First service wasn't due till 30000 km, and the garage said that they'd do the free visual inspection, but I opted for an oil and filter change anyway.

I've had a few issues since buying the car, and all have been covered under warranty, so it was worth it to me to get the service at a Hyundai dealer

I got another quote from another official dealership, and it was 250 euro.... I'm very surprised.

Why are you surprised? How much were you expecting to pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭sligopaul

Given what Gipi has said above and wanting to preserve the warranty I'm not sure paying maybe 80 euro outside the network less is worth the risk if you have an issue . I know a family member who purchased a 1 litre turbo Kona, serviced it outside the network, and had an issue with the turbo and neither Hyundai or the main dealer wanted to know ( in terms of goodwill ). You have priced a second dealer , maybe try one more but then its your call

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's a little puzzling why someone who probably paid 30k for a new car, seems a bit horrified at the cost of a basic service from a main dealer. If €226 is all you have to pay for a service after 12 months then your doing well these days in my books.

Don't wonder into an Audi or BMW dealership, they will charge you around €150 for just an hour's labour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭zg3409

Prices vary by dealer so shop around. I changed a cabin pollen filter myself (no tools drop down glove box) and dealer wanted 35 euro for paper filter + install. I got it for 17 euro and fitted myself. I got a discount on service cost.

Typically it's a bit of a rip off but needed for warranty. Sometimes there are service packs that cover so many services and may or may not be cheaper than paying each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭goochy

dont bring it outside the dealer network , once the manufacturer knows car has official service history you wont have any worries about warranty and goodwill warranty

• Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I pay €170 to do minor service on a 2.0 TDI that needs expensive oil in main dealer.

And that’s not even the cheapest dealer

It is expensive for a minor service on a small car, but Hyundai parts or servicing isn’t known to be cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭kirving

Expensive-ish servicing, but a long warranty as standard.

It's not even that the service is that expensive, you just haven't got value out of the care really in the meantime. Certain checks will be prescribed as yearly, and it just so happens that your mileage is very low in the interim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Miscreant

I don't recall ever paying less than €200 for a service from a main dealer (which is where I get my cars serviced, exclusively). €226 is by no means an extortion and will keep the dealership and manufacturer happy if there is ever a warranty claim on the vehicle. I know you can have a service done by a third party garage with "manufacturer spec" oils and parts and still theoretically keep the warranty intact but for such a new car, I would not risk it.

On a semi-related note; when I change my car, I usually go for something less than 3 years old with manufacturer warranty and would not accept a third party service being listed in the history book. I have been stung by that before (almost 20 years ago now) and it was a hard and expensive lesson to learn. Full, main dealer service history, done on the button of when it is due, is what I look for now. Especially for cars in the age range I tend to purchase.

For the sake of a couple of hundred euro per year on a nearly 30k outlay for the car, I would not be doing anything other than main dealer servicing. You'll reap the benefit of it in the event of a warranty claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I paid €200 for an oil change in Seat, same oil change is €240 in VW. Hyundai aren't known for cheap servicing but it's in line with what you'd expect to pay. You can also expect to pay €300-400 in 2-3 years for a major service.

In the grand schemes of things, €200-400 annually isn't a huge cost when a lot of cars cost €30-40k. They're complicated machines with a lot of moving parts and it's maintenance work that most of us can't or don't want to do. It's a small price to pay to keep things running smoothly.

Advertisement