Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle to work scheme

Options
  • 06-09-2023 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi There

I'm moving to Ireland soon and wanted to find out which employers are involved in the Cycle to work scheme?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,753 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

most large employers allow you to use the scheme, but I don't think there's a list anywhere. I know my company lists it as one of the benefits in job ads.

considering it's worth at most €750 every 4 years it's not really something I'd consider a major factor in choosing a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

It’s up to the employer whether they want to take part or not, most companies do.

There’s no list of those that do, you’d have to ask it in interviews I suppose, or after you’ve been hired.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Well this is wrong. See the limits below.

edited to remove suggestion of tax fraud - mb

Post edited by magicbastarder on

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭vintcerf

I think they meant the money you'll actually save - works out about ~780

• Registered Users Posts: 10,854 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

You'll need to ask prospective employers directly

Some have a clause where you can't apply while on probation, you'll need to wait until your probation is up

Also be wary of employers who get a 3rd party to administer the scheme, many of those 3rd parties will only allow you to purchase bikes from partner shops (which often doesn't include some of the big chains like Decathlon)

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

As mentioned above, you may need to successfully complete the prospective employer's probationary period before you can avail of the scheme; we've had (disappointed) customers who fell foul of this, rushing in to treat themselves to a new bike within a couple of weeks of starting a new job!

Also verify the employers repayment period; I've come across the following over the last few years - the amount of time allowed to repay the purchase of the bike:

1 month from date of purchase

3 months from date of purchase

6 months from date of purchase

12 calendar months from date of purchase

Date of purchase to end of calendar year

One more thing, as Columbo used to say.....many smaller independent bike shops are less inclined to deal with third party companies acting on behalf of employers, as they take their 'cut' out of the bike shops profit, not from the buyer or their employer!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 LLI69

Thanks everyone! All very valid contributions, very helpful.

I'll have to wait to get settled in then and determine if they are part of it and whether they are using a 3rd party.

Advertisement