Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wolves in Europe.

Options
  • 06-09-2023 9:38am

SO After a resurgence in their numbers following conservation efforts and legal protection are now again in the firing line. NO longer happy to feed on deer, wolves are attacking farm animals and pets and pose a threat to people. Calls by certain people in Ireland to reintroduce wolves, where apparently they will remain in the mountains on the west of the country(what they will eat remains to be seen given the dearth of deer in most of these areas).

The EU is to review the conservation status of wolves on the continent after a remarkable comeback of the carnivore species raised protests from farmers whose livestock have become prey.

“The concentration of wolf packs in some European regions has become a real danger for livestock and potentially also for humans,” the European Commission president, Ursula von der Leyen, said. “I urge local and national authorities to take action where necessary. Indeed, current EU legislation already enables them to do so.”

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

It's amazing, that these wonderful and incredibly resourceful animals have outgrown the small pockets that we allowed them...

They are an apex predator and all of this should have been seen miles away...

The yellowstone example is often used, but yellowstone is a massive national park...3,500 sq miles in size...that is a tenth the size of the island of Ireland

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i saw we depopulate louth and release the wolves there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,523 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Whoever thought you could intrude these back into the wild in Ireland has no concept of space .

Id imagine it's someone from one of the larger Cities who thinks the country side is fast and sparse . There simply isn't the land in Ireland for Wolves

If i recall correctly the most "remote" part of Ireland is only 6760 meters from a road & that is up the top of a mountain in Mayo .,

Our country is simply to small for us to live in harmony with Wolves,

For sure. Here's a link to the proponent Padraig Fogarty, champion of reintroducing wolves and probably with Eamon Ran's ear, as he proposed reintroducing them too. Fogarty thinks wolves will live in the mountains of Galway and Mayo. THere's sweet fcuk all to eat there except the occasional sheep and tourist.

I have no idea where Fogarty is from-I suspect he's an urban guy, most likely from Dublin, so open countryside to him must seem vast. If you live in the country, you know that appearances are quite deceiving. We live on a small island with lots of scattered housing in the countryside. Nowhere is really wild or remote from people. This urban input into rural policy has got to stop.

Advertisement