Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School charging for early arrivals for kids

Options
  • 05-09-2023 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Is this the norm?

our local school has started charging for kids arriving from 8.00 to 8.40 am? 2 euro per day

i understand extra supervision is needed but I somehow think there is leglislation that a school needs to be open at least 30 mins before classes start which would be 8.30?

I stand to be corrected though !

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

The legislation allows for "assembly time, roll call , supervision, preparation" but that is part of the school day and is included in the 5 hours 40 mins of the school day. The extra supervision isn't part of that, which is why there is a cost for it. It's being offered as an extra service to parents, in the same way as some schools facilitate Irish dancing/karate/drama/art/chess etc. after school

https://www.gov.ie/pdf/?file=https://assets.gov.ie/15685/6e55f1a07b994e57870eb6dd83edf415.pdf#page=null

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

You're looking for somebody to mind your kids before school time. That comes with a cost. What time does school start? It certainly isn't between 8 and 8.30

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

My son's first school had the parents wait around until they were called to line up. Parents who were not working would obviously give the nod to let you go early if you were. Dropping kids off at 8pm is taking the piss if it's national school. If you need to go somewhere early be thankful the school is offering this service for only 2euro. I used to pay a neighbour a fiver (which was still good value IMO).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Dropping kids off at 8pm is taking the piss.

2 euro would be good value for 13hrs

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 bridalmum

Thank you so much for clarifying ! Makes sense now 👍

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Madd002

Never heard of that in my lifetime of bringing kids to school.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,923 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Did you drop your kids to school 45mins to an hour before school?

• Administrators Posts: 13,771 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

They are running a childcare service. From what you say school starts at 9. So anybody dropping their child at 8 is doing so because they need to get to work. You either pay the school who have made arrangements to provide childcare - nobody is going to offer free childminding! Or you pay a childminder to look after your child for the hour.

If school starts at 9, then dropping at the earliest 8:40 is reasonable. Anything earlier than that you are looking for childcare facilities.

This is obviously something that has been requested by a certain number of parents when need it, and the school have obliged.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

You could put your kids into a school far away so that they have to commute by bus . Problem solved. Bus at 8, gets them to the school at 830/840/900.

Sorry, I'm extra cranky today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I wish they had that option in my day! The primary school years when I was dropping my daughter off at 8:50 (gates were locked until then) and then trying to get to work on time were the most stressful years of my life.

I'd have gladly paid a fiver a day for the service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

School gates open at 8:55 for 9am start here.

Plenty happily pay 2 euro to let kids off at 8, ourselves included

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭Xander10

you could leave your precious child to stand outside the school gate on their own for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Madd002

Yes dropped at 8.45 and carried on to work, they walked straight into yard, some teachers inside none outside, suppose ours was a country school with 300 pupils.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Children should not be on the premises outside of school hours, bar a few minutes before school begins/ends. They are not covered by insurance and are not supervised.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,923 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Wow, leaving kids to their own devices at 8.45 when school doesn't start till 9.30? I would imagine most people would be a bit worried leaving national school kids that long on their own!

Advertisement