Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are World champions pro boxers so clueless when it comes to giving fight predictions?

Options
  • 05-09-2023 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭

You would think with their vast inside knowledge and experience of the profession, they would have a better understanding than anyone

David haye is a meme now, every fight he predicts a winner , the other guy wins

Last fight. Eubank vs smith rematch . Guys like froch, bellew ,Johnnie nelson giving Eubank no chance because they all said Smith was a "better boxer", "better boxing IQ" "More experience " etc

Why do professional boxers not have a better clue about boxing? Bookies had it 50/50 fight yet all the world champ pundits gave Eubank no chance

Where is the disconnect?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,595 ✭✭✭✭walshb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

There is nothing "wrong" in a "wrong" prediction. The "wrongness " is when you are giving an opponent close to zero per cent chance of winning when the bookies are putting the fight as a genuine 50/50

There is a massive disconnect There.

I wasn’t aware that Eubank was given no hope by some. I thought Smith would do it again via points. To me it was a real 50/50.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

The bookies had it 50/50. The sky sports pundits gave Eubank literally zero chance. It's kind of bizarre when you think about it

They must imagine themselves being in the fighters mentality when giving a prediction...no two ways about it

Carl froch

"I think that Liam Smith is going to come even more confident, he’s just a more-natural all-round boxer and fighter. I just think that the experience that he has got, at the level that he has been at, I know he lost to Canelo but he has been in there with him, he’s got that boxing IQ.

Even if Eubank turns up and he is ten/fifteen percent better, which will be difficult for him because he is done at that weight now and he has still got to make 160, [I still fancy Smith].

For him to turn it around totally on its’ head and all of a sudden have punch resistance [is a big ask]. I might be totally wrong, Chris Eubank might have been ill, he might have crashed the weight, he might have been on the weight for way too long.

I’m thinking that Liam Smith goes in there, it’s going to take him longer, but I think he is going to get to Eubank and he is going to demolish him again

Tony bellew

"I think Liam’s too clever, too strong and a better boxer. Liam has a better pedigree and is just a better all round boxer. He’s had to earn everything. He’s done it the hard way.

“Chris Eubank Jr has never been rated. Well I shouldn’t say never been rated, he’s never been a good boxer. Liam’s a former ABA champion and former world champion, British champion. He’s ticked all these boxes and nothing has been given to him, he’s had to earn everything. The fact is Chris Eubank Jr is just not as good as Liam Smith and he never will be.”

They are giving a fight breakdown and are arguing why Smith wins is all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

A lot of them will not go against their friends or their own fans faves either.

Eubank, has no friends, so this one was an easy side of the fence to come down on for the pundits. Especially Bellew :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,057 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

What would you like them to say?

"Yeah, that fella might win, but he also might lose. And it might even be a draw"

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Robert Nairac

They don't know much more than the rest of us

Advertisement