Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build DIY

Options
  • 04-09-2023 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

I have planning permission for a one off bungalow, 3 bedroom very simple design. I'm going the self build route because I know a lot of good sub contractors. I will be employing sub contractors for the foundation, plumbing and electrics. The external walls are traditional 4 inch block cavity wall. I know I would be able to build the external and internal walls and the timber work for the roof myself with help from my brother. Im not a block layer, but I've a lot of experience from labouring on house builds in the past.

I would be able to do the work to a very high standard but Im wondering is there any regulations/laws in Ireland stopping me from physically doing this work myself? Any issues for getting house insurance once the house is built?

I will have an engineer check and certify all stages.

I estimate I will be able to afford the build from savings plus a loan from the CU, but that's only if I can do the block laying and roofing myself.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Biker1

Absolutely nothing stopping you going down that route. Ensure you engage a BER assessor to provide you with a Provisional Part L compliance report before you start. Your engineer cannot sign off on Part L at completion unless there is a final BER and airtightness test done. You will also need someone to validate the ventilation to show compliance with Part F.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Go for it and I'll bet that because you're working on your own gaff, that you'll do a good job of it. That was my experience of doing my own blockwork etc. If you're getting a loan, you'll need to be mindful of any requirements attached to that in terms of sign off. So check there.

Once you have planning and stick to what is approved there, should be no major problem. Possibly depends of LA, but no one from our county council ever came near us to check progress. Unless they just drove by some day and visually verified the build was as proposed.

Advertisement