Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swatch X Blancpain

Options
  • 04-09-2023 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

The latest collaboration looks set to (briefly) arrive, at least until the flippers snatch them up and flog them for 50x markup on Chrono24. This time Blancpain has the honour of the Swatch crossover. An interesting point I saw on reddit was the suggestion that a Sistem51 fathoms might be too catchy a name to ignore, plus it would line up with Blancpain's founder's insistence that they will never make a quartz watch. Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭j2

Seems to indicate a dive watch

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Only available from Swatch stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Fitz II

My guess would be that although the flipper might turn up on day one, the buyers wont. Nobody is going to fall for the same crap twice. You can hardly give away moonswatches these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I hope your right because if this is a success as well there’ll be no end to number of **** collaborations will see

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

No doubt there will be buffoons sleeping outside stores for days

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Advertisement

Online rumours are pushing towards something like this with sistem51 movement

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭j2

Looks pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Not too bad

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭893bet

Please someone tell me it’s waterproof to 30 metres. Please let it be.

None of them photos are official.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭mailforkev

How dive proof is a Swatch, should this be called the Fifty Inches?

Nobody in gen pop has ever heard of Blancpain so it’s probably quite a smart move to try and capitalise on the Moonswatch madness by growing brand awareness of Blancpain.

Post edited by mailforkev on

• Registered Users Posts: 64,835 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Moonswatches still sell for over list. Incredible as it is.

Still can’t walk into a store and have your choice of colour either.

yeah makes a lot more sense for Blancpain as brand to be doing this then it did for omega to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,488 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I dunno... As a Blancpain owner😉 I can't help but feel it cheapens the brand and diminishes my potential to get snobbish when the hoi polloi are wearing them too 😛 /jk

I hope it goes well for them, I think if Swatch manage this properly they can build a funnel that will bring customers from the quartz homage/Collab to the mechanical wonder of their other brands. In much the same way Tag surfed Formula 1 in the 90s and other brands still do, Omega with the Olympics, Rolex with Tennis and their other bits. It's all about growing the next crop of weirdos who will happily splash the cash on functional men's jewellery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭H_Lime

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭Ryath

I was in the Trafford Centre a few weeks ago and they had 8 out of 11 colours. Moon and Mercury were two of the three they didn't have, only ones I'd be interested in though I'll still not sure I could bring myself to buy one even at RRP.

Sales guy said they were getting deliveries of full range every week.

I hope this at least has a steel case. I doubt they will have more than 30m water resistance. They have had 100m watches in the past but doesn't seem to be any in the current range.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

If Omega hadn’t done it would the non watch fans take any notice of a Blancpain Swatch colab? Omega is imo a greater household name now allowing Blancpain to piggyback on the success of the moonswatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

Correct. You have to look at the way the industry and market have developed. Both have been changing in recent years but more recently Covid has been a big catalyst, delivering a huge impetus. The Swiss Watch Group has been hoovering up brands and already is a colossus. It owns Swatch, Omega, Blancpain, Breguet, etc. If asked to name luxury watch brands Joe Punter would name Rolex, Omega, Tag and maybe Cartier and would struggle after that. One method of driving revenue further for SWG is to ‘cross-sell’ i.e. sell a different product to an existing customer base. To do that you also need to examine market segmentation – e.g. ‘health watches’ and ‘classic watches’ (Techies and Tickies) and sub-classify further. So, you take a lesser known brand and associate it with one with more recognition and build on that. Frankly, nobody outside serious Tickies would name Blancpain as a luxury marque.

It was very clever of SWG to first launch the Omega/Swatch – because of brand recognition that got huge PR. By following up in launching the Blancpin/Swatch it is piggy-backing on the first launch and the attendant hype, giving Blancpain some celebrity. The danger is that such joint ventures could drag down the premier brand. However, I wouldn't doubt that SWG has looked at this and found that the increase in brand recognition for Blancpain (enables them to positively revalue the intangible asset (brand worth) along with the serious amount of profit being made from what essentially is a plastic cheapie with a sexy name at a very high RSP. So, bets on when we will see a Swatch/Breguet?

(An interesting study would be to compare it with DIARM, which tried to do something similar with guns in Spain and failed spectacularly)

I think while the cases are in bioceramic there's enough of a tangible gap between the homage piece and what the thing actually is, which imo is a price inflated swatch. I think at this stage anyone into watches wearing a moonswatch does so ironically lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

Agree with irony for an afficianado, but a huge majority of buyers/wearers are not and would't recognise it if it hit them over the head

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Seems to me that training people to be OK with queuing up to be allowed to overpay for watches is a perfect breeding ground for future gen Rolex customers. 😁

RRP betting? I am gone say 499?.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

But seriously, they would've learned from the moonswatch saga that people are just too willing to get their hands on it. Those were 260 IIRC so this will be north of that for sure. I'm going to go with 349.

That's for Omegas 😂

You can queue all you like for Rolex, but you won't get any. And those few lucky people that do, still underpay for them and could flip them for a profit instantly.

You win the internets today lol, that's gas haha

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

if it looked like the original of the species(and original of the species modern dive watch) I'd likely buy one myself(after the madness died off) as I think they're a bloody gorgeous watch but the real deal is insane money these days(especially because outside of the great design the workings are pretty meh). A rellie has one, his daily driver for decades and they're really very nice in the flesh. Fair bit of heft to them too, which surprised me.

If it looks like one of their newer crop I'd pass tbh. They're one current model I really can't see the deal with at all.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Look lads, the moonswatch was a awful plastic piece of crap. I have one, I paid RRP for it, I am ashamed....they are dire rubbish. If this new one is like the moonswatch it will vaguely look like a blaincpain from 1000m, but up close it will bring nothing but revulsion and regret. Leave it to the backpack wearing youngsters who are willing to queue for 48 hours to make 100 euro profit, lord they know not what they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,488 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I saw this, and couldn't not share it here 😉

• Advertisement

Lucky Swatch 😁

Who else is he gonna ride next?

Advertisement