Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glasnevin Cemetery Records

Options
  • 31-08-2023 6:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭

This cemetery has over 1.5 million burials.

When last I looked on Find a Grave (a couple of months ago), their record numbers had yet to reach the 50,000 mark. Records with an actual Plot Reference was a much smaller number, understandable so as Glasnevin operate a fee paying site.

Tonight when looking up a record on FaG I noticed that their records now number over 615,000! and seemingly the new additions have the Plot Reference.

A massive twelve fold increase. From about a third of one percent of records to over 40 percent.

Great news - Just wondering where has the download come from?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Fraoch333

Thanks for letting us know. That's great news wherever the information came from.

I just had a look at Find a Grave and see a lot more relatives compared to before. I'll have to plan a trip to Glasnevin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

Uploaded to Find a Grave on Tuesday by a Member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, who has now uploaded 11.5 million records to FaG.

Over 3,500 records added in the last 9 hours, from the same source. 570,000 approx in 2 days - in the 22 years prior to this, there were less than 50,000 additions.

No indication of how many more to come. This could be the biggest record set to hit Irish genealogy in a long time.

I've asked the question and got a response that the record set will be about 800,000 individual records!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

For the second time this evening, I say "holy crap".

I wonder how Glasnevin feels about this. It could take away a lot of business.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

I'm not sure I want to go claiming my ancestors' graves but it's weird that this guy owns them.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Agreed on Dublin Cemeteries reaction - they can't be happy. Unless, they are in some way facilitating it.

I've spent a lot there over recent years. Always get the full grave list, even though only one might be related. Have also paid for grave details that turned out to have nothing to do with me.

Records now just over the 675k mark.

Yes, I've spent plenty of money there too and want to support their efforts.

The records seem to go up to 2016. I don't see any cremations.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Over the weekend I've looked up a number of individuals, mostly late 19th. / early 20th. Century. With 650k odd records out of an amount of 1,500k odd I would have expected to find about half of what I was looking for.

Interestingly, I have found them all, except for 2 from the 1990's.

Somebody on Twitter mentioned there's a restricted list in Familysearch (presumably offline) of Glasnevin records. Must be coming from there. Of course, the LDS Family History Centre is very close to Glasnevin.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Just to add the person putting these records found my posts on Twitter and offered to hand over management of any family memorials. He's not precious.

705,929 memorials this evening.

Claire Santry's post from earlier today showed 689,832.

https://www.irishgenealogynews.com/2023/09/more-than-600000-records-for-glasnevin.html

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 10 euro_girl21

Thanks for this thread. I have a lot of relatives in Glasnevin and have found quite a few additional ones in the new findagrave records that I did not find in the Glasnevin Records particularly due to inconsistencies in how the Dublin Section and Garden Section are recorded in Glasnevin's records. When I queried "missing relatives" in the past with Glasnevin, they told me the Garden Section was split at some point and this has led to some inconsistencies in the plot section records. I also saw about the great new John Grenham maps and his site led me to the Dublin Historic maps site which has a great map of Glasnevin with plot sections, row number etc. This is better than most other maps I have found of the Cemetery. I cannot post links and I am only an amateur researching my own family tree so sorry if you all know this already :)

Post edited by euro_girl21 on

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭ath262

here's that Glasnevin map on the DublinHistoricMaps website

a site to bookmark if you have Dublin connections or interest, it has dozens of map layers

Post edited by BowWow on

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭cobham

I was surprised to see Google Street maps do all the pathways of Glasnevin.

Thanks to this release of records (now at 728k) I have now found 23 relatives/plots to visit, photograph and record on the family tree.

Included in these are the 6 missing siblings of my Connolly Grandmother (RIP 1930). She was 1 of 12, 7 of whom died as infants. I previously had the graves of the 5 who survived to adulthood and 1 of the infants. I have now found the missing 6 - 5 in one grave and 1 in another. All were incorrectly named in Glasnevin records as Conlon. I have the copy Death Registrations and will be giving these to Glasnevin to enable them to correct their records. I'm assuming the first of the 6 to die was wrongly named Conlon, and subsequent entries just copied the surname.

Delighted with this find. When you look on FindaGrave now at the 12 children and their parents, it's like I've re-united the family...

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭dubred

Thanks for sharing, I found my 3rd great grandfather in the same plot as his wife, I now know when he died and a rough estimate of when he was born, this had been a challenge with a name like James Kelly!! There are 5 more seemingly unrelated people in the same plot in the Garden section.

More research to be done....

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Fraoch333

This has been absolutely brilliant! I'm finding more and more relatives with the uploads. I hadn't noticed before the possibility of organising or searching by plot number - it's such a great way of linking family members.

Now here's hoping we'll get the same for Mount Jerome and other cemeteries!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,304 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

To get something similar for Mount Jerome would be fantastic!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ambros1a

While it is great to have these records, one of the problems of this mass uploading is that there are more and more duplicate records.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭hblock21

On the search page click More search options for the drop down menu.

Then enter the plot number in the relevant box on the right.

The plot number is listed under the name of the deceased.

Genealogy Forum Mod

thanks for that super tip, @Hermy

I just did a random search for a distant family member who died in 1960 and found his grave, and then used the plot number to find 2 more people in the grave.

Genealogy Forum Mod

The credit should go to @Fraoch333 - I hadn't thought of searching by plot number myself before they suggested it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I have looked up via Family search and it brought me to Findagrave site for a particular grave but I dont see the same display as you Hermy. I dont see the plot number link? Glasnevin will give info of all in a plot but at a price.

Post edited by cobham on

Not all entries at Find A Grave include a plot number.

Do you mean the plot number isn't included or is there no mention of plot number at all?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 4 49949980

It's possible that this was an earlier entry created by another user which doesn't include the plot information.

If you feel comfortable you can direct message me on here or on Find a Grave with a link to the memorial(s) and I will update them with the plot location.

My user ID on Find a Grave is 49949980 (woowoo)

I found another with a plot number and then was able to do advance search to get all others. But needed to put full info on plot and not leave out the St Bridget's bit!

Wow! Welcome to boards.ie woowoo, and thank you for posting these records.

Records now at 745k - will we see much more?

• Advertisement

I think I have sorted all now thanks. Nearly a million, wow what an achievement! They must have had access to the full records of Glasnevin. But that means revenue stream for cemetery will be affected?

Advertisement