Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maternity Leave calculation

Options
  • 30-08-2023 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Just wondering if anyone is good at correctly calculating maternity leave as I am quite confused by all the circulars. I’m due early next February and understand I can take 26 weeks leave. When I count back from our last day of school 2024 (which is a Tuesday) 26weeks brings me to the start of December this year.

Once that ends I understand I get paid for June - Aug and then I intend on applying for the 7 weeks parents leave. Once I’ve used that I’d like to take the 22 weeks unpaid parental leave to bring me up to Easter 2025.

Dose this sound about right or am I totally misinterpreting the circulars? Also is it common that people are denied to parents leave and what is the advantage of working until two weeks before child is born?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Sounds about right. Working until two weeks before means you will get the majority of your maternity leave after the baby is born. Just from teachers in my own school, some of them who had babies in say February/March, still went in December and took the time off because they were not going to benefit from having it in the summer when they were off anyway.

Personally I don't know of anyone who has been denied parental leave. I'd doubt any principal would want to open a can of worms by denying someone the leave that they are legally entitled to. Also if you are taking all your leave to run consecutively, it'll be easier to get a sub so I doubt it'll bother them too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

For a baby born in November, a woman might work until 2 weeks before the birth to maximise the time off after the birth, which might get them to the end of April and then for the remaining few weeks in May take unpaid maternity or parents leave to get to the end. It's really about what suits you. A friend who had a baby in late March went in December because she wasn't going to benefit in the summer, but was thankful not to be commuting in the winter (long commute, nearly 2 hours) when she was late on in the pregnancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Honesty Policy

I was due at the end of February but offically started my leave at Christmas. It was great. Parental leave is 26 weeks per child. I also read that there is talk of increasing the Parents Leave in the budget to 9 weeks, which would be amazing. Make sure you time your leave in blocks around midterms and Christmas, Easter holidays etc to get paid for them.

I'm due again this January, all going well.

Congratulations btw :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Teacher100

Thanks so much for the reply. That’s great to know I can plan the unpaid 26 weeks of parental in blocks around holidays in order to get paid. It will make all the difference.

Best of luck to you too, hope it all goes well over next few months for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Just be aware that taking those 26 weeks of leave so early in your childs life means you wont have any to fall back on as they grow up.

You are entitled to 26 weeks unpaid leave in total until your child is 12 years of age. I would strongly consider keeping back some leave for unforseen circumstances that could arise in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Teacher100

Thanks, Yes I think I’ll leave 3/4 weeks aside. I’ve asked colleagues what did they use the weeks for and some have said first week of primary school and others have taken a family holiday. I can’t see myself using them for much other than starting school tbh and at that is it even necessary to have a week off for that? I may as well use up as many as I can now.

Advertisement