Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for making an observation on a planning application

Options
  • 30-08-2023 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭

I live in a gated estate of 3 story buildings and there is currently a planning application to build a 7 story apartment block in the middle of it.

I want to make an observation objecting to it. I've created an account on https://planning.agileapplications.ie so see I can upload one file and pay my €20.

My question is, and I've no experience in this field, what points should I raise and is there any format I should follow?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭kippy

You need to be logical, calm and provide factual observations - ideally bullet pointed with reference to existing planning laws and/or issues with the developers planning application.

These are the key things:

Don't assume that any reports provided by the developer to back up the planning application are accurate or factual even if generated by professionals. Much to my amazement it appears that the planners don't do a huge amount of fact checking into some of these reports but once they have been identified as problematic they will review them.

Developers are ultimately trying to get the development in place as cheap as possible to them so any reports will ultimately be designed to reduce cost of developing - often times to the detriment of the existing residents and/or the people who will ultimately reside in the new property.

Perhaps have a look at similiar planning applications in your area and the submissions that were made on them - these can be great pointers in what can be submitted and they are public documents.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

The easiest way to back up your arguments is to find similar developments in the area that were refused. Look at the reasons for refusal and basically copy and paste them into your own observation:

e.g. Here's a random refusal with two conditions for refusal attached at the end. If I was objecting to a new application on this road, I'd be using those same arguments in my letters. Planning hostory and precedent is huge when it comes to permission applications.......If the planning authority themselves have used "reason X" as a barrier to granting permission, then unless that reason has been addressed, it should be an automatic refusal.

This is just a random one I've picked, most residential refusals will have traffic or increased stress on utilities etc. as a reason. These types of reasons are rarely addressed and can be reused. It will give you an insight into the type of language used......"not proper to the sustainable planning and development of Lucan" or "would seriously affect the enjoyment of their proerty" etc.

Search on the CO. Council's website for stuff near you that was refused and figure out why they were refused. Then just point out those reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Thanks @kippy and @Yeah Right for the suggestions, I'll look up other applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Doop

Have a look at instructing a planning consultant to make an observation on your behalf. They will get right to the point and only make valid commentary as opposed to 'I don't like the look of it' type observations!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Just got a letter from the management company this morning, they are going to do exactly that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭rayjdav

Dont just leave it to the Management Company. The more observations that go in, from locals etc, for just €20 a pop, the more chance of it been taken a little more serious. Also, if they dont mention something more personal to you, you've lost your chance to bring it to the attention of ABP.

Dont be vexatious or emotional, keep it simple and practical, and submit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Yes get your objection in but it is certainly worth considering paying a professional to do it.

Try to pick out issues as odds with development plan and directly reference those issues.

At a minimum, submitting now will give you the opportunity to appeal any decision later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

The number of submissions means FA - it's the factual content that matters.

Advertisement