Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it normal to pay the builder a large bonus after finishing a project?

Options
  • 29-08-2023 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi all. I recently got a large enough extension done, approximately 6 month long project. At the end I was told that all crew needs bonuses, all and all it amounted to nearly 15% of the cost of the built, that's on top of the weekly wage they were getting.

Fair enough if its a standard practice I never had anything that big build before but why didn't they tell me about it before they started the project? I've no other issues with that crew, seemed to be honest with supplies money and the built quality is good.

I guess my question is is it a standard practice in Ireland and was I taken for a ride?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

You were taken for a ride not standard precise and I would be taking legal advice if I was you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭DC999

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Allinall

I've never heard of that.

It should be up the the builder to give their staff bonuses if they think it's deserved.

If the workers were particularly obliging then a bottle of whiskey or a few quid in an envelope might be appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭SteM

Their employer pays them their bonus ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,847 ✭✭✭Deeec

Please say you didn't pay them a bonus 🤦. They obviously see as gullible and has money and are taken advantage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭Treppen

Ride, you have been taken for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Doop

What contract for the works do you have in place? I suggest you review the clauses.

It would generally be captured for a financial penalty for a delay in executing the works, bonuses? rarely... however provision can be included for a Bonus for completing the works ahead of schedule but it all comes back to the contract and for a domestic/residential situation it would be very unusual and if it was included you would be aware (it would usually be a commercial client who would suggest such a provision... ie if you get our retail unit open one month ahead of xmas there is a bonus of x amount.)

You mention weekly wages, was this a fixed price contract or were you employing direct labor? either way there is still no compulsion to pay a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Mitzy

I have just had a large renovation done on my house. I paid the builder the agreed price (plus some extra costs for additional works I asked for).

If he wanted to pay his staff bonus's then that was up to him. As the others have said you are being taken for a ride. Only pay it if you want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Is it an established builder? Y/N

Not asking for a business name here

More importantly -

Are you overseeing this project on your own as the client?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭frozenbanana

Thanks for all the replies.

I suspected as much. What makes it complicated is that the builder is wife's family. Makes asking questions very awkward that's why I want to make sure I have a full picture before I start complaining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,986 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

The only way I'd consider paying bonuses would be if there was no builder & I arranged all of the workers myself.

If you engaged the services of a builder then it's totally up to him to pay all wages and bonus. I'm a tradesman myself and bonus isn't usually paid to the tradesmen by anyone. Builder might bring everyone out to the pub and put cash behind the bar but that is about it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

The family aspect makes it even worse IMO

Scandalous from the builder

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Sounds like the builder is trying to drain every last cent out of you

• Registered Users Posts: 35,894 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I guess it depends on the costs, was it done at family rates, and to make a profit it required that little extra..

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ec_pc

Madness, is it not common practice to withhold a percentage of the final bill for 1 year? We kept back just over 5% of the final bill for one year to cover any issues / fallout with builder. We were advised to do this by the engineer, builder had no issue with that.

Why pay over the odds for what you are getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭SteM

• Registered Users Posts: 68,502 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I had a sparks employed by a fitout firm try and tap me for a 'bonus' for putting in a few data points *that were on the spec sheet that was given to him by the fitout firm before he quoted them*. I was a contractor for the computer provider for the person who was paying him!

Seems to be something some people play for when they think you're a mark. He didn't get a cent off me, or anyone I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭Xander10

You don't need to complain, you just need to tell him to **** off !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

No-one would accept you holding a retention for a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Kurooi

Don't pay any bonuses lol. And always withhold some of the payment for when work is done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Quite often you hire someone close to the family and they take the piss.

Asking you to give his staff/tradesmen a bonus is crazy. Maybe your relation gave you a cheap price (doubtful) but those tradesmen owe you nothing so they wouldn’t have done the work on a cheap rate for you.

OP what is the total amount of this 'bonus'?

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Happyhouse22

I thought holding a retention was normal? Recently built a new house and 2.5% of the total cost was retained for 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭1373

Just remember , the builder didn't feel any family awkwardness asking you for a bonus, so now it's time for you to stand up . And no , it's not normal to ask for a bonus after job completed . I'd go so far as to say , a builder who'd be crooked enough to try this on is the same guy who'd never pass on a bonus to his workers

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Mike3549

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Ronney

As mentioned above the ide of looking for a bonus is not common practice.

But 15% of all costs is actually taking the complete P*ss! Lets just take Labour costs as being 50% this would mean a 30% bonus to the workers!

Yes but what figure is 15% of all costs - Are we talking a very large number here? Was this crowd responsible for the whole job or just part of the job.

I completely agree. I would actually also have to question the quality of this guys work if he resorted to this trick. It could indicate that his business is cash strapped and in these circumstances quality workmanship and materials is often compromised. Op I hope you had an engineer engaged to verify this guys work and that your build meets standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,267 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Was it the wallet inspector who told you about it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,466 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Get busy paying someone to review the work is completed - do not pay any more money until this is done. Do not under any circumstances pay them a ‘bonus’ of any kind no matter what pressure you feel under.

If I read correctly you mentioned paying their weekly wages? This sounds like you didn’t pay per job you paid per the amount of time they said it would take to do the job? It’s likely you’ve paid over the odds for the work done to date- or it’s also possible you paid quality prices for a sub standard quality work.

Either way I would get the building work independently assessed - if it’s good then great, thank the guys and send them on their way- if it’s not, write to them outlining the issues

Advertisement