Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holes in Cobble Paving

Options
  • 28-08-2023 7:18pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,472 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for some advice. I'm in a new build that has cobble paving outside for the drive / pavement. It was put down less than 12 months ago. I've noticed some holes have appeared in the cobble brickwork, photos attached. Is this considered normal wear and tear? There hasn't been heavy traffic on it at all - i.e. one of the photos was taken where the car can't access whatsoever.

I'm not too concerned about the sight of it, I'm more so worried that more holes will appear and the current ones will get bigger.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭10-10-20

That's where there was a bad mix of cement and sand at the batching plant and the cement didn't penetrate some of the lumps of sand. The sandy lumps got set into the cobble and the cement around the sand then fails later on causing a void when it's washed out. Don't let anybody tell you that it's because you power-washed the paving as they should be able to stand up an acceptable level of power-washing.

I'd photograph each void and make an estimation as to the percentage of affected units and decide how you want to handle this. You should initially make contact with the installer or builder and explain the issue - even if the percentage is low and you're not planning on taking immediate action. The installer - if they have their heads screwed on - will raise it with the manufacturer and start a discussion. Then if you decide that the problem is unacceptable or getting worse then contact the installer again and ask them to start a disussion with the manufacturer with the intent of requesting a replacement of some or all of the units under their materials warranty as it's clearly a defect within the product.

I hope this helps.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,472 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

This is very helpful, thank you for the advice. It's good to have an understanding what the actual cause of the issue is. I'll let you know how I get on with the developer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Just to mention that if it's only one or two units which have failed like this, then I'd leave it. You could patch with a cement mix or spot-replace the units if it's not a big deal, but I was more thinking above that it's a bigger issue. 👍️

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,472 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Yeah I'm going to keep an eye on it, if more do develop I'll raise it. I'll leave them as they are for now and if no further issues develop I'll patch up the holes with a cement mix.

Advertisement