Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on changing broadband and landline provider

Options
  • 27-08-2023 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

I have an elderly relative who is paying through the nose for their Virgin Media Media package. They are paying around €130 per month for TV, broadband, and a landline. Virgin have only offered a reduction to around €90 per month, so I want to help them shift to another provider at this stage. The relative reckons that they don't really need any TV package as they watch mostly YouTube, so the requirements are really just for a modest broadband connection plus a real landline as part of the package.

I've been looking at the different options on Bonkers and am drawn to providers that offer packages with not much of a price hike after the contract year is up, as chances are my relative may forget to change providers again at the time! There are various packages out there for €30 to €40 per month for the first year and around €50 to €60 thereafter, e.g. Digiweb, Pure Telecom, Sky. 

So, some questions are:-

1) Can the existing VM line be used by the other providers, or would a new line/connection be required etc?

2) Will VM go looking for their equipment back out of curiosity, if it's more than a year old?

3) Is the VM TV box deactivated after a switch to a different provider, i.e. not even basic channels still available?

4) Would the landline that comes with another provider have the same number as the existing one with VM?

Apologies if some of these questions have been answered previously or if I should have posted this under a more appropriate existing thread like VM cancellation deals etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭DUBLIN_person

Hi there,

Not sure if this is the most appropriate place for your thread but I’ll try and answer your questions none the less.

1) VM line is standalone for VM only, as far as I know. No other providers use it, so you will need a new line installed. There was rumours of a deal with Vodafone to share the VM lines a while back but I don’t think this has gone live yet. Depending on the area in this day and age the speeds offered should be similar. Most providers offer free installation.

2) It depends whether the equipment is still in commission by VM ie. Is this the equipment they supply to new customers, I went to leave VM recently and had the white VM hub modem and was told to recycle it. The equipment will be fairly useless to you even if you can keep it though as it is locked down and hard to repurpose.

3) Yes, VM box is deactivated once switched so won’t be able to access any channels. If it is just basic channels needed, might be worth looking at Eir who offer basic channels through an Apple TV for €10 a month with their Broadband package or for a higher initial outlay but no monthly bills you could get a local installer to put up a dish/ aerial which will get you the free Irish/UK channels.

4) You can port your landline number between providers in Ireland, be sure to mention you want to keep your landline number when you’re signing up to a new provider and they’ll move it for you.

This Thread is quite good for tracking the latest deals: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058303621/broadband-switch-deals#latest

In short Broadband and Landline can be got for €30-€35 a month.

Best offer for Broadband, Landline & TV at the moment in my opinion is the one big switch deal which works out at €44.99 a month with €100 credit on the account after the first months bill is paid.

Hopefully that is of some help to you.

Advertisement