Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Must a business provide a detailed invoice?

Options
  • 25-08-2023 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭

I've received an invoice from a company and paid the price agreed. The invoice listed the services supplied and total vat but didn't give a breakdown on what each item cost.

However having spoke to few people in the area it now seems I was greatly overcharged.

Can I demand a detailed invoice now, and is there a complaints procedure if they don't provide it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

You should have asked for an itemised quote. Since you've paid the invoice, you've accepted their T&C. However, same T&C may have a procedure of a cancellation of the delivery of service and you may be entitled to a partial or full refund... Invoices mustn't be detailed. I'd think your post could get a better attention in the consumer issues forum.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

There is no general obligation on businesses to charge the same price for products or services, nor the level of detail in their invoice, that is the essence of competition. You as an adult are assumed to be able to act in your own best interests, that means checking prices, getting quotations, seeking clarifications, negotiations discounts and so on. You seem to have failed to do any of this and consequently you over paid for the services you purchased. No judge is going to entertain the idea of compensating you for failing to mange your own affairs. It may sound harsh but that is how society chooses to operate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Thanks folks. I appreciate this was my fault and I should have shopped around more. I really just wanted more information for when I leave my reviews.

Sadly it seems we will all have to start getting multiple quotes for even smaller jobs because some tradespeople are changing extortionate amounts.

As regards the invoice it seems if I were VAT registered the provider would be obliged to provide an itemized receipt. As pointed out the buyer should enforce this before paying.

Advertisement