Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Reverse parking

Options
  • 23-08-2023 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,882 ✭✭✭✭

I was driving through my local town today and I was flabbergasted about how many people still don't use a reverse parking policy. To do otherwise shows a distinct lack of respect for other drivers and is very suggestive that people just can't reverse properly. I've heard numerous stories about incidents caused by people not abiding by this one rule alone.

Does this annoy anyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Yeah, if you can't reverse into a standard space, you really shouldn't be driving.

So much safer to drive straight out of a space when it's time to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭bladespin

Sometimes there's no choice really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,094 ✭✭✭User1998

In what way is it a lack of respect? That’s ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

They do it in my local supermarket....then try and squeeze their trolley between two cars to offload in their boot. Can never understand this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Agree, it's a combination of laziness and ineptitude.

But that said, many local authorities now either install angled parking bays or give planning for them. Which are designed for people to drive forward into them. Then there's the issue of the poor design, pack em in nature, of supermarket car parks where you can't access the boot when you reverse it.

The National Roads should come down on LAs though. I always thought it a basic principle of road safety that you don't reverse into a bigger road or heavier traffic flow than you are in. You wouldn't reverse from a minor road back onto a busy main road, so why reverse out of a parking space into the flow.

Many construction sites insist on reverse parking for good reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

For me the biggest issue is when SUVs don't do it because if one parks like this you have to drive out of the spot totally blind due to the largest part of the SUV totally blocking the view of the road. If they reversed in the bonnet is blocking the same view so not as high.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,043 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Faster to get out of work too when everyones car is pointing at the exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,159 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Some times reverse parking is the sensible option. But not always. Depends on the layout traffic, access etc. Reverse parking is a longer manoeuvre and by that nature is more disruptive to the traffic at that time. And reversing out is more disruptive then.

Parallel parking is better than either is as it doesn't require you to cross the midline. I think a greater number of people have trouble with parallel parking that reverse parking.

The one that really gets on my tits is contra-flow park. Cars cutting across two lanes to park facing the wrong way, and then driving on the wrong side of the road to exit, or better yet, exiting with a u-turn that requires going the wrong way on both dies briefly. Should be a rule that you can only park in the flow of traffic..

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

Supermarket is the one place you shouldn't reverse in. This is usually due to bad layout of parking spots, more than anything else though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,824 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

as mentioned, if you need access to your boot and your boot would be blocked by a wall/other car you've reversed up to, it does not make sense.

• Advertisement
Advertisement