Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What would you replace a 2014 Mercedes C220d Auto (W204) with?

Options
  • 22-08-2023 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭

I am looking to replace my wife's 2014 Mercedes C220d Auto Executive SE

We have owned it for for the past 5.5 years and it has been an excellent car.

Powerful but frugal and reliable 2.1L CDI BlueEfficiency Diesel Engine - good MPG even on suburban trips

Very easy and comfortable car to drive - 205/55/16 tyres not expensive to replace

Well appointed leather interior and the W204 is still a good looking car.

Relatively cheap servicing costs - car has needed very little beyond tyres, brakes and oil/filter servicing

Interior and boot is big enough for our family needs.

Good Bluetooth phone system and Entertainment system 

Dislikes:

We only drive it 12k miles a year, so hard to justify another Diesel car as a replacement.

No heated seats or memory seats. The old Volvo S40 that the Mercedes replaced had these, but otherwise the Merc is a superior car in every way.

New car requirements:

My wife wants a hybrid of some sort for the next car.

Doesn't have to be fully electric, but would consider mild hybrid or PHEV

Similar size and spec to the Mercedes

Automatic Gearbox

Reversing camera would nice to have

Realistically, a mild petrol hybrid saloon would be ideal.

Budget of up to 25k euro total. A 2018 or 2019 would be nice  

What would people recommend?

Not too well-versed on newer cars.

Another newer Mercedes C-Class? Is the CLA class a good car? Would it be a step up or down from a straight C-Class?

Are the petrol-engined Mercs of the 2018-2020 era reliable?

I think I read somewhere that Mercedes are using smaller engines from Renault now?

My wife likes Volvos, and would possibly look at a Lexus, BMW or Audi too. 

Suggestions?

MtM

Post edited by MiketheMechanic on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭User1998

A CLA is basically an A Class Saloon, and most of them are horrible Renault engined, but if you got a 2.1 it would be similar enough to your older model C Class in terms of comfort, maybe a few features missing like electric seats, but the tech and styling is better in the CLA

I’d recommend looking at a C Class C350e Hybrid. You’d get a 2018 model within budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The obvious answer is a c350e so a newer model C class that's a plug in hybrid petrol with electric running for about 25km on a charge.

2.0 petrol and about 270 bhp I think and super low tax.

Jury is out on long term battery replacement / Repair costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

CLA is very tight on the inside, boot is small also. It's based on the A Class from the segment below your current C Class.

You could look at an automatic petrol Audi A4, some well speced used ones coming in from Japan now:

https://www.carsireland.ie/3439632

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

Lexus IS300h

• Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭goochy

lexus ES300H

• Advertisement

Is it a budget of €25k on top of the Merc. trade in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Miscreant

You could also look at a Toyota Camry hybrid if you are in the market for a comfortable hybrid saloon. A friend of mine has one and it is a very nice place to be. He says it is the best car he has ever owned, and he has owned Mercs and BMWs in the past. Prices are in or around your budget for a 2018/2019 model too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

In a not-dissimilar position myself soon I hope. 2015 C-Class 2.1 Estate, and top of my list atmo is a Lexus. Haven't driven a recent one yet, so that needs to be done or I could be back to Square One at that.

[edit] ...actually a colleague of mine at work bought a new Camry and it is actually a very nice car to be in.[/edit]

Post edited by galwaytt on

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Lexus are lovely the drive and super reliable but the interior tends to let them down a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

• Advertisement

LEXUS IS300H might be option then

Thanks everyone for your replies. Good to know that the Mercedes CLA might be too small as a replacement.

What are people's opinions on the C350e Hybrid? Is the Mercedes hybrid technology from the 2018-2019 era reliable?

A friend of a friend had one that went very wrong (hybrid battery issue) - just wondering how common this is, or if he was just unlucky.

MtM

i think lexus / toyota would be best for hybrid reliability - a 2017 is300h should be in your budget - alot more distinctive than the MB also as there are loads of MBs around

Wow - that's scary. That issue would effectively write off that car.

MtM

We took an ES300 for a test drive on Saturday. Was very nice, but a little bit...........underwhelming. Nothing actually wrong with it at all mind you, even the colour & trim were good for us. Driving home in the CLS, the CLS felt a bit more...........something. So no sale there yet.

My own C-class estate is still destined to go soon-ish, so not sure what direction to turn atmo, but I was impressed by the new RAV4 Hybrid - even over the Lexus. None available to buy 'til 2024 though.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

could it just be you found a hybrid car a bit dull ? too quiet / uninspiring ?

1 - Dull would be harsh - if you want 'not dull' I'd be looking at what will replace my 996 Cabrio. Which I am btw.

2 - Too quiet - def not. I like quiet in a car. If I'm honest I thought NVH levels higher than my C-class, but similar to the SO's CLS. This is entirely down to what I call SWTS Syndrome, aka 'Stupid Wheel & Tyre Sizes'. My C-Class on 17"s is a peach.

3 - Uninspiring. Well I wouldn't class either my C-Class or the ES as 'inspiring', so that's a draw tbh. I really liked the RX450 though, but pricing is mental. For real inspiration, see my point #1.

Interestingly, I got a test ride in a new 530e since too - now that was impressive. It was, to me, the promise of a Lexus with the expectation of a Merc. Long term though, German firmware is what I fear for.

The search continues.

Ode To The Motorist

new RX450H is very pricey and is quite low to ground so doesnt look very substantial

@goochy @galwaytt @Stallingrad @bazz26 @User1998 @Miscreant @kermitpwee @mickdw

I just wanted to come back on here with an update.

A few weeks ago, I took my wife to try look at a nice clean 2017 Lexus IS300H at a Toyota dealer.

In short, she hated it. She sat into it and thought "it looked like a rental car from the 1990s".

She reckoned it was a big step down from the interior of the Mercedes she was coming from in terms of interior styling and the controls and infotainment system. She wasn't a fan of the CVT transmission either, though it might just be a matter of getting used to it. She thought it was a bit dull and boring to drive as well. So the Lexus is out of the running.

Given this setback, I'm not sure she'd go for a Camry - it possibly too big/long also. So, we discussed it and though a hybrid would be preferable, the next car CAN be a straight petrol or diesel.

So I suppose the logical choice would be a 2.1L Merc C220 auto - the newer W205 model - with a proper Mercedes (not Renault) engine? Is there a 2.0 Litre petrol Merc? Anything else I should look at?

• Advertisement

Lexus IS and Toyota Camry are the same car so she won’t like it

Alfa guila

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

Do you have to replace the Mercedes if it meets your needs?

What about a Tesla Model 3? €25,000 should get you a 2021 with not too high mileage. Definitely a buyers market.

I cannot imagine the OP's wife liking the Model 3's interior much if she hated the Lexus interior.

What about an A4 OP:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a4-s-line-2-0-petrol-automatic-high-spec-/36770748

Thanks @bazz26. What are those 2.0 TFSI petrol engines like for reliability? I seem to recall that at least some of the earlier VAG TFSi engines in the likes of older Passats were poor and had various issues. Would these issues have been sorted by 2018?

Also, would there be any issues getting parts or insuring a Japenese imported Audi?

I'm not a VAG follower, did they sell these Audi A4s as petrols here in Ireland in 2018? Or was it all still diesel?

MtM

I think that 2.0 tsi engine is a less powerful variant or close relative to the engine found in the likes of a Golf GTi/R etc so the same common problems would probably apply. I think they switched back to a more reliable timing belt from chain on these many years ago but I'm no expert on VAG engines. There is also a less powerful 1.4 tsi engine available which was sold here in many VAG cars. Parts wise I think most of these JDM German cars outside of higher specs are the same as the ones sold in Europe.

Interesting choice. Very scarce in Limerick unfortunately. Are they built with the usual Alfa "reliability"?

Very scare full stop . That's years out of date just like fiats lack of reliability

• Advertisement

Some for sale up north

Advertisement