Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EV charging at serviced camp site

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,944 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Current will be the main issue, a lot of camping sockets in Ireland seem to be limited to 6A, while your charger will try to draw 10A

You'll need to check with the campsite owner what they can supply

I'd also recommend dropping your charging current even if the socket can supply 10A. There's a voltage drop along the extension lead which means there'll be slightly higher than the max current at the campsite socket. And they might not be built to supply max current for hours continuously

I'd also have a backup plan in case the campsite says no

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

6A is very low. My understanding is that they are generally between 10 and 16A

It's pretty dire alright but all the Irish campsites I saw seemed to be around that

Maybe they've more power for the campervan spots

Campsites in Europe tend to have more power AFAIK, but OP didn't specify where they're heading

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭GSBellew

Bit much to expect a campsite to provide the power to charge an EV, they have never been expected to have petrol / diesel pumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Genghis

Campsites generally charge €4 a night for about 50c worth of electricity supply.

They generally frown on this, I guess mainly down to infrastructure / safety risk, but also down to cost.

I've had a couple of comments thrown at me for simply arriving in an EV (you needn't think you can charge that, etc), have seen some where it's outright forbidden.

Some have their own EV chargepoints (usually tariffed), but I would not arrive at any campsite needing an overnight charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Major concern with that unit would be overloading the socket if another high powered device is attached to the spare outlets. Ideally go for a 16A EN60309 to a single BS three pin socket, rather than three sockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭GSBellew

This thread is asking about charging an EV, it is a bit of an ask really when the power is to run lights, a fridge maybe a radio or tv, you cook or boil a kettle with gas while camping, not many people expect to be able to run a 3Kw oven to do a Sunday Roast whilst camping...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭10-10-20

True, in fairness.

The site might have EV sockets too, if they don't the definitely should for both revenue and safety reasons!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭Alkers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭zg3409

You can adjust charging rate in the menu on an ioniq. As said 6a would be better but that's very slow. As in only about 1kWh of energy per hour. As in very little power per 12 hours.

Others have said campsites have a fee for spots with power, and typically power is very very limited due to the number of caravans to cater for at peak times. You may need to specifically book a spot with power and confirm rules in advance.

If you have a caravan you may only be entitled to one socket between caravan and car. If you have a tent you may not be able to book sites with power.

Look.up site on plugshare / zapmap etc to see if they have a charger or if there is a nearby charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭k123456

Thanks Folks, good advice there, interesting, that I can modify rate using the car GUI

And have checked on Zapmap

Campsite on Achill

I'd definitely check with the owner to make sure they're happy with you drawing power from the socket overnight

To be fair, as others noted, they're not exactly designed to charge an EV and the site owner could be within their rights to charge extra given the amount of energy consumed

Then again they might be totally cool with it, you never know

• Registered Users Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭fits

There’s a campsite in Clifden with a dedicated chargepoint. I wouldn’t try to charge my car with granny cable from an ehu.

Advertisement