Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot water on demand

Options
  • 22-08-2023 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello, just wondering why how water on demand here in Ireland is complicated to have and it's a standard in continental households.

Thank you

Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,692 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Mod: Moved to Plumbing & Heating from Forum Requests.

Note to @Gloria83 - there is a possibility that this is simply untrue so be prepared for questions on how you arrived at this conclusion.

-Shield

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Having been in many houses on the continent, it is not standard!

It costs money to keep water heated so unless it heats instantly like those quooker taps, expect your ESB bills to rocket (they will still increase with a quooker tap!)

You could look into solar panels to heat water.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,928 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I think it's true to some extent. In many European countries people rent for life. Sometimes this is subsidized. In many apartment buildings the building has a massive hot water tank & the apartment's get free instant hot water. We actually had this exact same system in the old Ballymun flats.

It wouldn't be the norm to have instant hot water in European houses. Most would have a hot water cylinder like we do in Ireland

In Ireland you can remove your hot water cylinder & install a combi boiler. This gives you instant hot water & no need to store hot water

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I think that the complexity comes from the requirement for cold water storage and the fact that many of the European water heater systems feed directly off the incoming mains. I understand that they have a dual check-valve on the incoming feed to prevent back-feeding, I'm not sure if it's the same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

It’s not that complicated - any house built since the mid 2000’s onwards should have separate time and temperature controls for hot water which should allow full ‘on demand’ operation, and many households operate like this, mine included.

There are some additional running costs to having hot water stored and ready all the time, but it’s not huge and the majority of the ‘losses’ are into the house in the form of space heating which is a benefit in winter.

A combi boiler if fitted further reduces the running costs. As would a well insulated cylinder on a more traditional system.

• Advertisement
Advertisement