Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mariner 60hp tilt and trim problem

Options
  • 22-08-2023 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

The motor for the tilt and trim is not working and needs to be replaced. In order to do that I have to tilt the engine up to the highest position to get at the motor and then open the relief valve to do that. Unfortunately I couldnt open it with a large flat head screw driver and eventually I broke the head off the relief valve. The engine is three quarters way down now. Any ideas on how to get the valve out or is there another way to tilt up the engine? Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Can you drill a hole in the relief screw 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭nokiatom

its made of plastic, i was thinking of doing that but i was afraid that some of the plastic would get into the pump when i drill through.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

You could try a car jack and slowly jack it up over a few days then you could use a very small drill bit that will let air in with very fine filings that shouldn't block anything, you can flush it out with new oil when you get it out.

I could try a small drill bit but getting one long enough might be an issue and the valve is accessed through the bracket of the engine

Could you get a dremmel in or a flexible extension. Maybe even heat up a bit of wire and poke a hole in it.

• Advertisement

Try the heated wire first before you spend money, you could even try heating up a large screwdriver and see if can melt a new slot let it cool in place and then try and turn it.

I was thinking of that too. Im also wondering if I did drill a hole through and oil came out would the engine tilt or must the valve have to be turned a few times to release the pressure in order to raise the engine by hand

It's usually 2-3 turns you could have someone putting downwards pressure at the prop or lifting pressure until they feel it move then you will know the pressure has been released.

I got it out with a heated screwdriver. Thanks for all the advice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement