Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing Fireplace

Options
  • 21-08-2023 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

I'd like to remove a fireplace, including the mantle surround etc to leave just a flush wall. Would this be a big job? Anything in particular I should look out for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deregos.

Make sure to leave an air vent in the blocked up opening of the fireplace to allow for circulation of air.

Also a put a cowl with a plate cover on the chimney pot to reduce rain/water ingress. Both these will help prevent the chimney from sweating and stop a build-up of condensation in the room.

Otherwise you'll eventually get mould which is exactly what happened to a room in my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭con747

I ripped my brick one out about 10 years ago with a sledge hammer- lump hammer and a crowbar, fitted a wood burning stove in it's place. The cost of plastering it was about €100 back then by a good local plasterer down the country where I live. I done all the finishing myself like the base and stove fitting. If your just going to block it up I think you might need an air brick fitted but not 100% on that.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭Shoog

Just removed a cast iron fireplace. Held on with four big screws. Rough block opening behind the fire surround.

Will be blocking with cement board as wood pellet stove taking its place so will continue to use the chimney.

As others have said if you are blocking up then add a airbrick or Louvre. The only difficult bit will be the plastering to match the room.

Advertisement