Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir FTTH Dropping with Own Router?

Options
  • 21-08-2023 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi

I switched fibre provider and bought a 3rd party router (Asus) a few months ago. Now, the internet drops here and there. It's visible during work, games, TV and smart home devices sometimes stop working until I reinstall. I have noticed drops in connection a few times per day. It affects both wifi and LAN.

I wondered if the issue is with the new fibre provider or the new router?

I plugged in the Eir-provided router and for 2 days I haven't seen any drops. That is unusual, even at work I have seen drops a few times per day normally. I would like to test about a week using the Eir router just to be sure.

So, I'm thinking it's more likely the router. I've searched online, I see a lot of complaints about Asus firmware. It updates a few days ago, no improvement. Wifi channels? Take it off auto?

Any tips?

Post edited by Frostynight on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭brio09

That's interesting. I have Asus zenwifi. Was working fine with eir ftth.

But I wanted to take out the eir box so I set vlan etc. Now somehow all devices apart from my laptop have very crappy speeds over wifi. Also get some socket error.

I'm guessing if it is Asus firmware related then makes sense for me to go back to using eir box, apart from Asus.

Or I need to copy over some other settings from eir box.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

From what I've read its an issue with the Asus routers. Not sure if intstalling an alternative firmware like Tomato will help or not

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

check the wifi interference and set the channels dont use auto

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Frostynight

Thanks.

Yeah, I've been reading and seeing in the news a lot of fuss about Asus routers. Some people have been saying maybe settings? I've read also that the logs may show hints about the provider not authenticating the router? I've no idea if that's the case. In terms of settings, I just did PPoE, eircom, broadband1, VLAN 10.

If this router is a dud in the end, I will probably try another from a different brand. It's wifi 6, much better antennas etc. and good VPN per-device functionality.

I've used a wifi analyser and moved the channels to ones which are not in use nearby. No improvement.

I've added my log from yesterday and today if anyone can tell anything from that. I know that the internet disconnected some time this morning, I put my bins out last night and seemingly my nice neighbour has put them in my garden again. No doorbell notifications.

Advertisement