Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Concrete slab reinforcement question

Options
  • 21-08-2023 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi folks.

I'm putting down a concrete base for a block shed. Just wondering about reinforcement/steel in the base. Some say not to bother, some said a bit of rebar around the edge and more say put in steel mesh sheet.

Base is roughly 24x32ft. Floor will be 6 inch thick and 9 inch thick where walls will be sitting.

I was thinking of putting 6mm mesh in it to stop it cracking.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Biker1

It would be standard practice to reinforce the perimeter and mesh the whole slab.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,958 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Forum rules don't allow specifying structural matters so you won't get an accurate response

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: What Muffler says! Forum charter does permit specific structural advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 shauna.b

Ok thanks folks

• Registered Users Posts: 45,958 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Apologies, I wasn't trying to be a backbeat mod but just pointing out the rules so as to avoid any confusion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Nothing in this post is to be construed as structural advice

Bearing in mind the Mod comment,

IMO, this is the wrong approach as it fails to address the requirement to cater for frost heave at the perimeter.

Based on the post the bottom of the wall supporting piece will be 3 inches below ground

The design also make putting in DPC problematic

Have a squint at the above: TGD Part A

I am building a similar shed and the walls will be separate from the floor

Post edited by Calahonda52 on

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement