Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Van insurance

Options
  • 20-08-2023 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭

Question : What changes a VAN into a camper WRT insurance

If no windows are retro fitted and nothing external is different, maybe roof ventilation. Does removing the bulk head have any affect on insurance ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Getting it reregistered as a camper is what changes it from a van to a camper WRT to insurance. To register it as a camper and pay the required VRT it has to meet the minimum requirements of having seats/table, a bed(which can be converted from the seats), a cooker and storage

Some companies have extra criteria, internal height and access to the front seats, but all require it to be a camper on the VLC

• Registered Users Posts: 14,274 ✭✭✭✭elperello

As Del 2005 says regarding change to camper.

As for the bulkhead, removing it is changing the spec of the vehicle.

If you had an accident and a passenger was injured by a load entering the cab there would be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

thanks guys I'll reword the question

Can I continue to insure and tax my VAN as a VAN if the rear is converted to a camper and no windows added.

I understand camper tax is less etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You'll need to convert it to private tax, it's still based on the cc for commercial vehicles!, and once you can get it insured then you can do what you like. Getting insurance for commercial vehicles can be difficult if you don't have a job that requires a commercial vehicle and sticking a bed in the back of the van could be an issue so make sure to say it's got a bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

not sure why I'd have to tell insurance theres a bed in the back.

"you know that bed I was transporting last week from IKEA.. well I stuck it to the floor!"

Hold on sir, Ill see if we can charge you some more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭Shoog

Insurance companies are looking for reasons not to pay out - you are playing Russian roulette with them every time you take your van out for any reason not covered explicitly by your insurance - which is for travel at work and to and from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Majority of the time a van isn't carrying much weight, their tyres are rated for that. If you add a couple of 100 kg of weight and have an accident, what happens if you get a blow out and crash? Was it bad luck or did the conversion make a difference. A camper might be more attractive to steal? So higher risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,274 ✭✭✭✭elperello

There are people going around with a mattress on the floor in their vans.

You can do so as well but it might all end in tears.

At the end of the day it's your call.

Advertisement