Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nct for foreign van?

Options
  • 19-08-2023 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭

Heya, I have a Portuguese registered transit. The yearly inspection is due to run out while I'm still in Ireland visiting.

Is it possible or useful to get an nct done on my van in Ireland?

I need to stay in Ireland a couple more months before returning to Portugal.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭User1998

You can only NCT Irish cars. Garda don’t care about foreign cars not having roadworthiness tests as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I assume that is ones with Irish reg plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

NCT is only for Irish registered passenger vehicles. CVRT is for Irish registered commercial vehicles.

Since your Transit is not Irish registered you don't have to do either.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,882 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I'd hazard that Portuguese insurance requires vehicles which need a road worthiness check to have it to be insured. The Irish Gardaí may not care but there could be issues with insurance if they crash or driving it back in Portugal.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,882 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The OP wants their van tested and asked if it could be done in Ireland, which you answered correctly.

Saying that a lack of test doesn't matter isn't what they asked and could land then in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

Hey Folks, thanks very much for this info.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Try your local CVRT centre. Unlike NCT, they are often garages, so they might be able to run it through a test but not sure if you'd get an actual Cert or not, or just get the inspection sheet (with results).

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭User1998

Although your right, they could just do an inspection, its probably pointless. Won’t be valid for Portuguese insurance, and won’t be valid for Gardai in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

better to be looking at it than looking for it would be my view.

OP needs to contact his Portugese insurer to see if they'll accept it anyway.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
Advertisement