Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naomh Eanna to be broken up

Options
  • 18-08-2023 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

About time as it's about 20 years past saving and not particularly interesting anyway. People clamouring to preserve old steel boats like this or more recently the LE Eithne, have no idea of the ongoing maintenance cost required to keep them afloat, much less made/kept safe for the public to access.

With little historical value, the Naomh Eanna has been a horrible eyesore for decades now. Just my €0.02.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2023/0818/1400468-grand-canal-ship/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Doe Tiden

Probably a shame in a way but as you said 20 years ago it might have been worth saving.

is the scrapping finished now?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,395 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 15,749 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

For a nation surrounded by the sea, we tend to turn our backs to it. Heaps of coastal cities around the world with top class maritime museums with actual ships and boats you can step onto and look around. Here, maybe what, two isolated (replica) ships, you can do that on? And a small maritime museum next to no one knows exists.

We weren't even bothered raising the naval training ship when it sank before the sea broke it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Even the LE Eithne was wasted.

Having been built in Cork, with a naval base there, it was an ideal museum ship.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I believe the Port of Galway harbourmaster Capt Brian Sheridan hopes to take delivery of the bow within the coming weeks.

https://afloat.ie/sail/historic-boats/item/62140-bow-of-aran-island-ferry-naomh-eanna-acquired-by-port-of-galway?fbclid=IwAR2YDypBVf1oWlmdz6ojyw9fsTtnRonVL4daMs0iLFzJuLozurCBheud0wg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Lithuania is a country with a coastline of about 92km (Ireland has 3,172), and even they get it right when it comes to acknowledging their maritime history. I've been to their maritime museum in Klaipeda (in an old fort), and its brilliant..it's tied in with a huge aquarium, and they also have a dolphin pool for shows (Attended a show over the Christmas period, and as much as I thought I'd dislike it, it was actually brilliant). On the way in they have a number of large vessels on display outside, and you are free to explore them as you want (for free).. they are set up as they would have been in their day with some great props.., and were a really cool place to spend few hours before even getting to the museum..

The big silver one was a fishing boat from the 60's that would go out as far as the North Atlantic for it's fishing...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,749 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Although somewhat better than nothing, it's rather pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Daibheid

That's a nice idea and I think they've gotten the anchors as well so it could make a nice display piece. But he'll get through a few wire brushes first!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Daibheid

They may have a good angle on maritime hardware but anyone in this day and age that thinks keeping dolphins captive is a good idea needs to take a trip off almost any patch of Irish coastline and experience these wild animals choosing to come and interact with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭nokiatom

Seeing dolphins, killer whales, seals etc in captivity makes me sick. What we dont see is the cruelity in trying to train them. Its the same with farm salmon, all they want to do is get out of the cages and swim across the Atlantic ocean.

• Advertisement
Advertisement