Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Canada from Ireland with Young Family

Options
  • 18-08-2023 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi everyone,

We are considering a move to Canada, specifically the GTA area. We currently live in the midlands of Ireland and would like to present our family with more opportunities.

Has anyone made the same move? If so, we would hugely appreciate any stories about how you and your families have settled/not settled.

We are looking for a better way of life overall. Cost of living here is extortionate with Ireland ranking as the most expensive country in Europe, and supposedly more expensive than Canada overall, provided it's all relative. The local town is unfortunately on the wrong path with no signs of getting off it as it seems to worsen with each passing year. We know that everywhere has its pros and cons, though it seems that Ireland has very few pros to balance those cons, at least were we currently live. The decline has been rapid!

A small bit of background -we have two boys aged 4 and 1. I work remotely in IT and my current employer has offices all over North America, so the ambition would be to transfer to the local Canadian office.

For those of you that made the move, did you find that your kids had more access to different activities? Did you yourselves find a better way of life (midlands of Ireland can be quite restrictive)? Have you any regrets and would you do anything differently?

Thanks so much for your time and help. Any input at all would be massively appreciated and we look forward to hearing your stories!

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,011 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I'm kind of in the same boat.

Now I'm not that down on Ireland, I think it's a great place to live, I don't find it one bit restrictive and our kids have more than enough activities, but at the same time we as a family seem to be living hand to mount even though I'm on a very good salary.

I'm just thinking would a move to someplace like Canada be better for us now and for our kids (16, 14, 12, 9) in the future.

I'm definitely not one of these grass is always greener types, myself and my wife lived in the US , me for 6 years her for 2 and we moved back to Ireland 20 years ago.

But now I'm thinking is it time to try again.

For some background we live in semi rural (big village/small town) Kerry and I work remotely in IT.

We are half way through a 30 year mortgage on our house.

So what is Canada really like?

Obviously it's a big country with different economies in different places.

What does one get for their hard earned money in the types of places people tend to immigrate to ?

Do you pay less tax, is housing cheaper, are utilities cheaper, what about groceries, transport, motoring, activities etc?

Are there any sites where one can get good comparisons?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 whiteivy

Hi,

One of my adult children moved to Canada, ( I could kill them, broke my heart) but they are doing great, loves the place, has a good job, and a son now, there's much more opportunities there for everything, and free health care. My grandchild is so smart, been to daycare, now in kindergarten, grandchild has done more in four years than I have in my life, its a beautiful place. Just be prepared for very hot summers & very, very cold winters !

I would say Go for it.

All the Best.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 whiteivy

Advertisement