Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel insurance- missed flight HELP

Options
  • 17-08-2023 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭

I had a flight booked for tonight for a week in Spain. I’ve paid my flights and accommodation. I slept in and missed my flight from Ireland! The hotel and flights are non refundable. I’ve been working so much I was exhausted. I have the following Laya single trip insurance- can I even claim when it’s my own fault?

https://www.layatravelinsurance.ie/TravelInsurance/SingleTrip

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,954 ✭✭✭con747

A lot of the flight cost could have been tax, I claimed most of the cost back a few years ago but not sure if still the case after missing a flight. Maybe chance your arm by claiming it back on your credit card or get a charge back from a debit card.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Missed departure insurance generally only covers proven failures of vehicles or scheduled public transport (that was scheduled to get you there well in time)

Laya do not make their full T&C docs public as far as I can see - you will have to check these yourself. But I suspect you have zero chance.

Call the hotel to remotely check in and book a new flight for tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Maz2016

Thanks both. I suspect I’ve zero chance. It’s a weekly flight from cork but I could travel to Dublin Saturday but that flight is €350ish. I’m so stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 5,954 ✭✭✭con747

Look into a refund of taxes on the missed flight. I got nearly all of my money back because the flight was cheap but the taxes were high. Example https://www.aerlingus.com/app/support/forms/tax-only-refund-form

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Maz2016

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

You might get your taxes back - if you do, buy yourself a decent alarm clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭VG31

I always set two alarms on different devices for early flights or whenever I have to be up early for something important. I set the second one for 10 minutes after the first and make sure it's far enough away that I have to get out the bed to turn it off.

Advertisement