Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inheritance

Options
  • 17-08-2023 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

does a foster child have inheritance rights from biological parents in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,419 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Adoption is a factor I'm fairly sure. If the foster child is not legally adopted, then their biological parent or parents remain legally their parents and inheritance rights follow.

I'll stand to be corrected but fairly sure that if a foster child is legally adopted by new foster parents, inheritance rights etc. would transfer from biological to foster parents.

Relationships can develop over time in families with foster children but if they never formalise adoption, the foster child is effectively a stranger as regards legal matters. It's an important thing to be clear about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭Xander10

a foster child doesn't have to be adopted to qualify for the higher Group A threshold for an inheritance from a foster parent btw.

I know that is not the Q being asked

• Registered Users Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭Xander10

it took you 12 years to make your first post?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 psychic34

Look again. Thanks for the comment

Advertisement