Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Penalty Points

Options
  • 16-08-2023 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭

A friend has asked my advice on two speeding fines that she received in the post today. They occurred while a family member (who is a named driver on her insurance policy) was using the car. As set out on the forms, she will send them back telling them who was driving when the offences concerned.

She’s concerned about whether she needs to notify her insurer immediately, or will this only be necessary when the insurance comes up for renewal? She’s also concerned about what impact this will have on next year’s premium. Presumably, she would have the option of excluding the family member (who will have 6 penalty points) from remaining as a named driver? But can anyone provide any indication of what impact keeping them on the policy would have on her premium? She is currently on maximum no claims bonus and the other drivers currently covered have no penalty points.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭User1998

Unfortunately no one here can tell you how much the insurance premium will increase next year, if any increase at all. Each insurance policy is specific to the car and driver.

I’d imagine with them being a named driver and not the main policy holder it shouldn’t affect to the policy too much but who knows.

As for telling them now or at renewal time, I have no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

You wouldn't have to notify the insurer. From my experience 6 points and your premium would be much the same. In the old days 10 years ago or so you'd normally get away with 6 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

Only need to notify insurer when renewing.

I got 3 points for speeding in the past and it raised my quote by €70.

The points will be given to the family member, her license will be unaffected.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭abff

Thanks.

I guess the issue my friend has is whether or not she will be able to afford to keep the family member as a named driver on her policy. It sounds as if she will only get the answer to this when the policy comes up for renewal next year. I expect it will also impact on her ability to shop around if she wants to keep the family member covered under her policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Leatra

A named driver on my policy picked up a couple of speeding fines a while back. I get a lower quote with Liberty if I leave that person off the policy (off the top of my head, about thirty quid off a quote around €400), so I'd say it makes an impact. This person has the full NCB and 10+ years licence etc. on their own policy so it may end up being more if it's a less experienced driver.

She can always throw her details (fake names etc. if she wants) into a quote generator online and then remove the named driver and get another quote. It'll at least give her a sense of what to expect come renewal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

In my experience 6 penalty points for speeding made damn all different to my quote. When I went to 9 I saw a difference. Thankfully I’m back to 6 and it will be 3 soon.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Just to clarify, this is incorrect. You are obliged to inform your insurer of any material or other change to the vehicle or drivers on that policy. As of now, the points have not been applied (think innocent until guilty) so once you get notification of points being applied, you are obliged to tell the insurance.

Note my use of "obliged"...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭Buffman

OP, the only people who can say what, if any, impact there will be on the insurance cost is the insurance co. If there is any extra cost, I'd be asking the speeder to pay up for it if they wish to continue to have use of the car.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

When I got those points it was in October, I didn't notify my insurance until renewal the following July. I told them the speeding incident was from October last year, and there were no issues they just reassessed my policy and put 70 euro onto it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭Trampas

Tell said member to cough up then if they want to stay on. If a son or daughter on a learners permit might be a different story on premium

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,947 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

In a similar situation..is it better to name another driver who is not driving much to take points as photo was taken by a VAN ? Worried about rise in insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 26,074 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

You must name the person who was actually driving. Lying about the identity of the driver is an offence under the Road Traffic Acts - a more serious offence than the underlying speeding offence, attracting a higher penalty - and, if done to secure a lower insurance premium, will also be a fraud offence. Plus, it will invalidate your insurance.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭theintern

If you had made a claim during the time when you hadn't told them, they could have likely come up with a way not to pay out, since you didn't notify them of a material change to the driver covered.

I'm not saying it would have happened, but I'd rather not take the chance personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭dickdasr1234

AXA Insurance: "Penalty points will remain on your driving record for 3 years and must be reported to your insurance company when applying for insurance. Any period where your licence is out of date does not count as part of the 3 years."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,947 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Well i asked a question to check if people do it…Sure i know its not the right thing to do !

Advertisement