Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open gallery in kitchen - smoke risk / not complaint

Options
  • 15-08-2023 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi there. I am about to complete the purchase of a house which has a compliance issue. House was bought at an auction with intention of refinancing once compliance issues are resolved.

there is a hole in the ceiling above the kitchen island which lets you look directly to the ceiling of the roof. Our architect has confirmed this is non compliant with building regs due to smoke being able to escape above / back bedroom being an inner room.

architect has suggested replacing one of the roof lights with an AOV linked to smoke alarm but I am finding difficulty finding a supplier for a resi project. Someone else mentioned a smoke / fire curtain.

i am wondering if a glass floor could be inserted in the ceiling to enclose the kitchen? Subject to the correct glass being used. Or if there are any other possible solutions?

Thanks in advance!

Tagged:

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,283 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

its quite difficult to picture what you are referring to.

any chance of a couple of photographs?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,161 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I can’t see how a hole in the ceiling would foul fire regulations. Just put detection where the smoke accumulates.

Inner room is entirely separate. Not clear what the skylight issue is.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭birdie89

Some pics showing view from kitchen looking up to upstairs landing

• Subscribers Posts: 41,283 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

assuming its a 2 storey dwelling, this would fall foul of section 1.3.2 (b) of the current fire regulations in that:

b) a stairway serving an upper storey should be enclosed with storey-height construction, which need not be fire-resisting, and should discharge directly to the open air.

so again, assuming the stairwell which serves the upper floor is "open" to this opening in the kitchen ceiling, then it doesn't comply.

i would argue it doesn't comply with section 1.3.9.9 either, though again i would argue this wouldn't fall under the accepted definition of a "gallery"

the installation of glazing here should resolve the issue, in that it would protect the stairwell in construction that "need not be fire resisting". However personally would only be happy in that situation if the glazing was tempered and laminated and posed no risk to anyone under in case of failure.

Ive seen load bearing glazing in dwellings previously between open plan living and rooms above.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭birdie89

Thanks a mill - when you say load bearing glazing, do you mean a glass floor? We’d be happy to just close it off with glass / some sort of sky light

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Feck!

Advertisement