Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local-improvement-scheme /Roads - Clare County Council

Options
  • 15-08-2023 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭

This might be of interest to others. I'm in the process of putting in an application at the moment. It's to tar the surface of a right of way, gravel road that is used by 6 different farmers. Deadline for submissions is this Friday, 18 Aug 2023. It would be great if we get approval. We will have to cover 15% of the cost, but would be worth it long-term.

I imagine other counties have similar.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Thanks Patsy, I looked at it. Twud have been ideal if they included houses not associated to agriculture.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭massey 265

Lis scheme also in galway but a big backlog on projects.300 i believe in for consideration to date.minimum of 2 landowners per project with maximum of 1200 payment each regardless of project cost.Is this not the case in clare as i thought all counties had same regulations re lis schemes?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

There are no houses accessed by this road, so should qualify on this condition. Cost is anywhere from 300 euro to 1200, depending on overall cost. Crazy thing is, we will end up paying 25% more each as we have 6 benefiting rather than say 5.

From their Terms & Conditions

Local Contribution 
    • 10% of estimated cost for eligible roads with up to and including 5 beneficiaries 
    • 15% of estimated cost for eligible roads with 6 or more beneficiaries 
    • The local contribution must be paid before any works commence 
    • The apportionment of the local contribution is a matter for the applicants to agree

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Is the option there @patsy_mccabe to concrete instead of tar.

I know any improvement is an improvement but if the option was there to concrete especially when ye have to pay some. There was some scheme in this part of the country to concrete small back single laneways with landowners giving labour. Turned into a great job and the council never have to go back filling potholes.

I don't know about concrete. I was told an Engineer will visit and then complete a quotation for all parties to agree.

• Advertisement

Jesus that's a great scheme, I have two places that would benefit if I could get the neighbours talking to each other

There's a little bit of that everywhere. You just have to carefully navigate those treacherous waters. 😎

If there is no houses on this road just stick in ur name and one other name as benificaries.Then regardless of project cost it will only cost ye 1200 x 2 =2400.Then divide this by 6 thereby each only have to pay 400 each .Concrete a non runner with co councils due to cracks etc

It's gone in now. 7 names eventually. 7 names mean 7 voters, if you know what I mean.

If any council thinks concrete is a no go, I'd highly advise them to inspect laneways in the Rathnure, Killann, Ballindaggan, Halfway house, Kilmyshal, areas of county wexford.

Any farmers from other parts of the country no harm either to have eyes open what can be done.

Edit: actually anyone can put in "Rathnure Pvc" on Google maps and inspect one such lane using street view.

Post edited by Say my name on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Aravo

Conditions say that road needs to have 2 herd numbers on it. If there are 5 benificiaries the payment is 10%. 6 or more payment is 15%. Max individual payment is e1,200. If an application states length to be 1000m and width at 2.2m but it's actually 1150m and 3m wide. The Grant council gets is based on figures submitted on application. So have it right. I would consider recall application and leave at 5 no. Council decides on Specification. Some councils would only stone road with cl804. If houses on road likely to be cl804 and surface dressing. If there is coillte lands on road or some public body could use road for maintenance purposes like Irish rail to access a nearby track. Don't be afraid to approach them to made a contribution. It's very likely that not all benificiaries on road will make payment. Sure farmer x uses that more than me.....

Conditions say that road needs to have 2 herd numbers on it. If there are 5 benificiaries the payment is 10%. 6 or more payment is 15%. Max individual payment is e1,200. If an application states length to be 1000m and width at 2.2m but it's actually 1150m and 3m wide. The Grant council gets is based on figures submitted on application. So have it right. I would consider recall application and leave at 5 no. Council decides on Specification. Some councils would only stone road with cl804. If houses on road likely to be cl804 and surface dressing. If there is coillte lands on road or some public body could use road for maintenance purposes like Irish rail to access a nearby track. Don't be afraid to approach them to made a contribution. It's very likely that not all benificiaries on road will make payment. Sure farmer x uses that more than me.....

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭Silverdream

Don't go upgrading the car just yet patsy. We've been applying since 2019 an are still a good bit back on the waiting list

Locals on the lane provided the labour. Council supplied the concrete and steel.

I think my neighbours are expecting it done this year. It's a right pain using the road. Myself and 2 others spread a load of gravel on it every year. That takes a full day, usually on a hot day. The rest do nothing and some won't even pay. One even told me last week that it needs a load or it will go to hell.

Lanes with houses on it would get priority over just access to land. Previously if a lane had a gate to restrict access it meant that the public were not allowed entry and this lane was not eligible for funding. This might have changed recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭Silverdream

Same as that, 7 using the road 5 contribute the other 2 believe it is our duty to provide for them

Story of my life too- you feel like the little red hen sometimes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Jimbo789

Why would it matter if there is a gate restricting access to a non public road? If the council surfaces the road it doesn’t give the public rights to trespass on private land.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Presumably the council won't surface roads on private land.

During the recession the LIS stopped as it was not seen in the economic climate as a priority to be spending public money on private roads. To overcome this later LIS schemes asked if they road was gated or open to public use. Recently this gated issue was removed and I'm not sure if that is still the case. I note wex co co asks these questions but that may be an old application. From a farmers perspective it's an extra safety measure so as to not allow animals to stray.

The LIS roads are all private roads. And even after the council works maintenance reverts back to previous status quo and still remains a private road. I think this scheme is a bit of a vote getter to keep people happy.

Post edited by Aravo on

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

How are you getting on with this Patsy? Did you get the job done?

I got an e-mail from Clare Co. Council on 16 Aug 2023, confirming my application. I have heard absolutely nothing from them since.

Lis schemes are generally asessed by the co councils in first quarter of the year and if for whatever reason some can not go ahead then another applicant will be contacted to see are they willing to proceed.Each municiple area usually gets enough funding to complete approx 10 lis schemes each year depending of course on the schemes costings but if a scheme costings are excessive, the local authority usually split it over 2 years in order to get a few schemes completed and keep the co councillors happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 kylemc04

Any luck since with the new allocation?

Nothing so far, only a bag full of empty promises.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

7th of June is approaching fast! Have you had any canvassers yet?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Advertisement