Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banking 365 down again?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Yup.

Much like when it happened at ulster bank, they'll minus your account and tough s**t basically. Some people are just stupid

BOI overdraft interest rate is 13.25% , some people are in for a shock after this

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭blueser

I'm not sure how people think that they can withdraw money that they don't actually have, and not be expected to pay it back. What's the saying; play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Gardaí clearing queues from Bank of Ireland ATMs following app glitch

https://www.thejournal.ie/bank-of-ireland-8-6143756-Aug2023/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The reality is the majority of people whove taken money out arent thinkinh past the next pay check or next bet or next pint

The more concerning thing than few thousand ppl withdrawing 1000€ from atms is how big the issues with online payments or transfers to revolut are

If unlimited 1000€ transfers into revolut were possible this could be a bigger storm as ppl now be leaving the country etc ...especially people with no permanent base or connection here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,256 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

It's a wonder that not one of the online banks hits Ireland hard with their services and tries to get a tie in to An Post for those that just want to save a bit each week from their welfare

Think Revolute have mortgage plans in place

Beholden to a couple of corrupt banks in the country is ridiculous, haven't hallowed the halls of a bank in over a decade - have Revolut and N26 (no monthly fees!!!!) and never had a problem in years bar a small temporary glitch with N26 a few years ago.

And if that article is anything to go by most of BOI customers already have Revolut lol

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Yeah once they signed an official agreement for an overdraft facility with their bank they should be no issue

BOI statement.

Fairly crystal clear to anyone who's been at the ATM

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Statement out. Apologies for small font ,its from de tweet machine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

I have a relative that works in a BOI branch. Spare a thought for him and his colleagues (even the ones manning the Twitter feed). None of this is their fault but they’ll be the ones facing all the angry mobs tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Reports now that ATM's have been shut down, probably should have done that in the first place instead of redeploying the cops to guard them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Carnage now with people unable to withdraw cash.

I wonder will people with debit cards start trying to do cashback even without money in their account?

Garda command and control issued the directive to clear the queues and close the ATMs

You really couldn't make this up

Literally just got sent a picture from Dublin City centre, Gardaí dotted along the street at the ATMs, madness

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭aoraki

Their accounts will be debited by whatever they withdrew, and if they don’t have the amount in their account, they’ll go into overdraft and will start paying fairly hefty fees and interest.

Any wages/social welfare payments made to that account will just go against the overdrawn amount. They won’t be able to withdraw funds until they are in the black again.

These “free munney” people are absolute morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

While that is how the system should work, the usual suspects will be out decrying the big bad banks all over the media tomorrow and I wouldn't be surprised if political pressure leads to some kind of special accommodation being made in the same way it routinely is for people who don't bother paying their mortgages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭xper

On the plus side, not a finger has been laid on a tourist in hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Paul Murphy will be on his soapbox picking up for these poor souls who have now gone overdrawn, blaming the banks.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

When you open a current account you agree that you will pay interest on an overdrawn balance, whether sanctioned or not, and you're provided the rates for such.

See page 5 and page 21 for the rates

And page 27 for the Ts and Cs you agreed to

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Back up and running now and surprise surprise my money is still there 🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 45,265 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I wonder will the above post be part of an Irelands dumbest criminal montage in the near future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Ah fair play to ya. Sure this type of stuff has never happened to Banks before, particularly Bank of Ireland. They'll have no clue what to do to try and get their munney back. They'll send you a couple of letters and then they'll surely give up when they realise that they are dealing with a mastermind such as yourself. They have absolutely no resoures available to them when trying to retrieve debts and the courts will absolutely take your side on such a matter like this.

You're an inspiration to us all!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭ebbsy

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I don't believe the Garda were deployed to guard the ATMs, I do see the potential for law and order to break down at the ATMs when people start to realise that the ATMs have a limited amount of cash and they might not get a chance to get their hands on "free money". I can see them being deployed for that reason.

I have never been involved in providing critical incident management services to any of the Irish banks, so I'm not familiar with their operations and perhaps there are issues not know to the public. But I find the way the whole situation was managed very amateur. Clearly their edge case testing was a way with the fairs as was their rollback planning and execution. I'd certainly hope that the CB and ECB will be asking some very serious questions as to their disaster recover planning and testing. They should have been able to close it down, roll it back and in the worst case go into disaster recovery mode and that does not seem to have happened or at least it took way to long to execute.

That's 100% the reason the Guards were deployed, they didn't want pitched battles breaking out at the ATMs between all the fine individuals queueing up patiently to receive their free money.

And yes, some serious questions need to be asked of Bank of Ireland after what happened yesterday. We don't know if it was caused by external factors (such as a network going down, or some hardware failure) or if it was caused by a production deployment that went bad. But that was a serious and long outage. You'd have to assume/hope that they have some sort of HA/DR capability and in the event of things going wrong can failover to healthy systems?

I'd say the post-mortem calls this week in the BOI IT and Operations dept will be interesting!

While there are probably a few cases of genuine people who inadvertently went into overdraft by withdrawing funds that they didn't actually have, let's be honest here, the vast vast majority of people who will find themselves in an overdraft situation after this will have done so out of pure opportunism (bordering on theft).

I can't see there being much sympathy for the latter category, and nor should there be.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭drogon.

As someone who works in IT and has experienced infrastructure outages firsthand, it's truly empathetic to see the challenges faced by frontline staff and the backend engineers who tirelessly work overnight to resolve these issues. It's unfortunate that investments in IT infrastructure are often seen as costs until a major breakdown occurs, prompting organizations to allocate funds for urgent fixes. Such situations highlight the importance of valuing and investing in robust infrastructure proactively to minimize disruptions and ensure smoother operations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

They'll have to pay it back as you can't be enriched through error, that's law.

They will not be liable to pay OD interest unless they've signed up to an OD facility.

Which I'll presume nobody involved in this will have.

It's in the T&C when you open an account

Linked post from above has the links.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/120984244/#Comment_120984244

BOI have said themselves as well, accounts will go into overdraft

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

cannot complete request error ATM on my app

Advertisement