Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions about Prague

Options
  • 15-08-2023 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone knows the answers to the following:

• Taxi from the airport - will they take cards of cash only (local currency)?
    • Is the best way to do foreign exchange to just top up your revolut with CZK and tap everywhere?
    • Data roaming?
    • Any recommendation for a bar to watch the Ireland v England rugby?
    • Recommendations for things to see and places to eat/drink?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I always avoid foreign exchange these days. I just use Curve or Revolut abroad. The Czech Republic is in the EU so EU data roaming rules apply. Prague is lovely to walk around. Try some goulash, always good in that part of the world. I think when my sister was there she took a side trip to Dresden in Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

uber or bolt to get from airport to the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Equium

I have been to Prague a few times, and have seen the city from different perspectives (i.e. stag parties, romantic weekend, sports trips). This is what I would recommend:

• As above, an Uber or Bolt is usually better. There are a lot of scam artist taxi drivers in the city, unfortunately.
    • Most restaurants will accept card payments and this will be safer. In saying that, it's always handy to have cash for use in smaller establishments. Exercise a lot of caution if exchanging money in the city. I would recommend buying koruna before departing if possible. Most places in Prague will try to charge extortionate rates or commission. Do not in any circumstances exchange money on the street. Scammers are known to give tourists worthless Belorussian rubles instead of koruna. I have always used eXchange if in need of changing money. They are based northwest of the Old Town Square.
    • EU roaming rules apply. Check exactly what your network operator imposes for data.
    • Can't help with this one. I avoid Irish bars when abroad! But there are several of them throughout the city. They will be overpriced and full of stag party-goers.
    • It's a relatively compact city. The must sees are Old Town Square, Charles Bridge, Prague Castle and the Mala Strana area but, for me, the most enjoyable thing to do in Prague is to simply lose yourself in the warren of side streets. It's such a fairytale location, architecture-wise, with each corner you turn seemingly uncovering something more beautiful than the last.
    • Make sure to try some of the local beer halls and traditional bars whilst there. Beer in Czechia is amongst the best in the world. It's also extremely cheap, albeit stronger than what we are served here. Tank beer, which is unpasteurised, is very fresh if you can find it. Most of the traditional establishments also serve good hearty food. Please make sure to review where you plan to have dinner/drinks though, and don't eat on the main squares. You will be ripped off big time. The only place I remember by name is U Medvidku, unfortunately, but there are many similar options. Again, check a place out on Google Maps before entering!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

@Equium Thank you so much for this - really, really helpful

I had planned to get a small amount of cash - just from an ATM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 RedB918

The Dubliner should show the match, was in it a few weeks ago when over for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭thomil

Two recommendations from my side:

Check out Vysehrad castle. It's the second major castle in the city and some of the views from there over the city are amazing. It's also a bit out of the way on the south side of the city, so it shouldn't be quite as overrun with tourists as the main castle. Just take a Line C (red line) metro train to Vsyehrad station and walk past the convention center, that should take you right to the main gate.

On a similar note, there's a funicular that goes to the top of Petrin hill. The panoramas you can get from there are once again really impressive. Also, there's a restaurant at the intermediate stop of the funicular that should be pretty good. It certainly was when I was last there, but that was a long time ago.

Oh, and try to get city tourist pass or something similar, for no other reason than for the free use of public transport included in those. The Prague Metro and Tram systems cover nearly the entire city, so being able to use those should reduce your dependence on taxis quite a bit.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭larchielads

Look up these lads, The Honest Guide on youtube. Theyre brilliant. They prob have everything u need to know. Public transport recomnendations to/from airport and around the city. Places to eat, drink visit. Things to see and do. Do's and donts about foreign exchange.

Ye wont go wrong! Judgin by the date of your post youve already been and back. But for anyone else do check out The Honest Guide on youtube.

Been to prague a few times , lovely place!!!

Just back from my trip and it was great. I absolutely loved Prague.

• Got an official taxi from the airport. There was a lady running the rank who gave the driver our hotel details as he didn't speak English. She confirmed that he would take a card. On arrival he insisted on cash (he seemed to have better English then) - I had to go into the hotel to change a larger note. Used the Bolt app on the return to the airport - half the price.
    • Revolut worked perfectly. Load it up and convert to CZK. Almost everywhere took cards. Some were cash only
    • No issues with Data roaming - uses your standard allowance
    • There were a few Irish bars dotted around - found one easily and enjoyed the match (Dearest beers we found)
    • Eat and drink - we just went with the flow - found some amazing places. Varying prices but mostly great value
    • Great city to just walk around - felt very safe

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

Chapeau Rouge for booze, V Cipu for the best local food at non tourist prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 dav45

Try visiting Charles Bridge, Wenceslas square, Letna Park, Prague Castle, Palac Lucerna, St Cyril Cathedral etc. There are so many places to visit there

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Agettle

Taxis in Prague generally accept both cash and credit/debit cards. However, it's a good idea to have some local currency (Czech Koruna - CZK) on hand, as not all taxis may accept cards, especially smaller ones. Using a service like Revolut and pre-loading it with CZK is a convenient way to handle foreign exchange.

If you're planning to use data roaming, it's a good idea to check with your mobile service provider for their roaming plans.

Some must-see attractions include Prague Castle, Charles Bridge, the Old Town Square, and the Astronomical Clock.

Advertisement