Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hyper mobility

Options
  • 15-08-2023 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,959 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My son (13) has hyper mobility.

He is very sporty but prone to lots of injuries.

In recent times: hamstrings, groin, hip flexor, achilles

Also mechanical issues: patella femoral syndrome and like a lot of other kids Osgood's.

I have brought him to various physio, consultants. Also he gave up some sports to have rest periods and now the main sport is just Football.

General view is he has to work on basic strength (e.g. quad, hammers) via exercises. This is difficult as it is difficult to get teenagers doing exercises on their own when they want to play with their friends (or on the x-box). So it can lead to a lot of arguments or lapses of exercise meaning he just gets injured again very quickly and then he really gets down in the dumps as he can't do any sport for periods of time and misses out on the fun.

Has anyone any help they can offer?

I had tried sessions with a really good S&C to help with injury prevention and found a really good guy but his teenage mindset didn't want to keep it up. You have to argue with him to get him to do the exercises at home.

We found one "teen fit" class which did general fitness (e.g. squats, lunges, RDLs) which was great but was difficult to get to.

His Football coaching is mainly all with the ball, they don't do much of the boring stuff (great coaches and I am not going to tell them to change their format just for my kid). He loves it and is really down in the dumps when every injury comes.

Any help appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

I just did a search on hyper mobility and found your thread. My daughter has it too.

Have you had your son tested and scored on the beighton test/score which measures the level of hyper mobility in the joints? It’s always good to know which joints are worse affected or if it’s generalised. Has he ever dislocated anywhere?

Not all exercises, stretches and sports are good if joints are over extended as pain will increase with age as does fatigue.

Some of those exercises to strengthen muscles could be quite difficult or painful for him and the reason why he complains and gives up.

It’s such a difficult area with very little research on treatment and a lack of physio knowledge and support.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,959 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Yes he scored high on that.

My main issue was he was regularly getting injured but now things are under control, or are much better. Main thing he had to do was reduce load and go back to square one. This means give up a few sports and play at a lower level with less intensity.

No medic was saying that the hyper mobility was contributing to injuries. Some said lowering load might help but there's a bit of common sense here as well.

Kids are playing lots of sports now and it can be relentless. They are more intense and competitive than our day.

They also have floodlights so keep going all year round and they also have too many parents who get over involved - it means the load can just be too high and the probability of injury also.

Please let me know if you have any more questions or IM me if you prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

Have you got him checked out for Ehlers Danlos Syndrome?

Would sending him for a few personal training sessions be an option? Look for someone specifically who has experience in working with hypermobile people.

Reformer pilates is excellent for people with hypermobility if he'd consider that. I get that he's resistant to some training but being hypermobile is a life long situation. If he can build up the strength now he'll be so thankful in years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,959 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Tried some strength and conditioning but he wasn't into it. What worked best is lowering the load. That means giving up a few sports and if possible play at a lower level or reduced training in others. Teenage years are incredible awkward because some kids have lucky birthdays, grow faster and there is shift away from skill and more towards power that really suits them. You will get some kids that can play 4 sports - but most can't. In my son's case if he wants to increase load then he needs to do the S&C. So you can't really have it both ways.

Other thing was increasing calcium in diet via milk and supplements.

Advertisement